Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cheap lighting for the masses!
Posted By: codiac2600, 02-22-2008, 10:10 AM

Hey everyone, just wanted to post a picture that I took yesterday that cost me $100 in lighting. The two side lights are 4' dual tube lights modified so they can be plugged in and they have 40 watt daylight balanced bulbs in them and the front light is my $50 ring light.

For anyone you wants cheap but great light here is the result.

Needs a hairlight, but hey for $100 you cant beat this lighting
Views: 3,220
02-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks pretty good Chris,

I might PM you in a week or 2, after I get a set of coldlights, about some studio setup advice
02-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like a good setup Chris.

Paul
02-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can see the reflection of the ring light in her eyes. Very interesting - not red eye, but ring eye.

02-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lol Frank. Looks like a good setup Chris. Easy to get a smile out of your client with that cardboard contraption. but you get great results from a cost effective setup so, well done!!
02-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Hi Chris,

I've been interested in this kind of lighting since I've seen some of the strobist results and videos with it. The thing that concerned me is the light output being too low to get a fast enough shutter speed and small enough aperature. Do you remember the settings you were getting from this? I don't know how to read exif off a web posted picture yet.

Thanks,

Anthropas
02-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anthropas, Just download the following program:
PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor
Then save Chris's picture to your desk top temporarily. Open the software and it has a button to open a file. Open the picture and there's enough data to tell what brand of underwear Chris likes. That is assuming he didn't strip the EXIF data from the shot or use a PP program that doesn't transfer the info when it saves.

02-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Too Funny, I started building some stands to kit up with 4ft T8 daylight lamps c/w dimming ballasts. I was hoping to have it finished last weekend. Have you had much opportunity to experiment with different lamp types? (full spectrum, daylight, enhancement, etc). I was going to make a front diffuser out of rip stop nylon. are you using industrial strip fixtures (bare lamp, narrow open type), or wrap fixtures (where the fixture has an acrylic or plexi 3 sided cover). I went with industrial strips. I am also designing some flap like side louvers / barn doors (white 3m vinyl on the inside face, flat black paint on the other outside face.
Your photo results are very encouraging. This may be a reasonable cost effect approach to home studio lighting (constant lighting)
02-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks good, you are going to have to write a 'Ring-Eye' reduction script.
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Forum Member

Thanks Peter,

I downloaded and installed the program, but don't see the information that I'm looking for. I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right spot. I see all sorts of info, but not the film speed/aperature/shutter speed etc. Where should I be looking?

Thanks,

Anthropas
02-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #11

Does anyone else find the ring reflection in the eyes disturbing/distracting or just plain wrong looking?
02-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Anthropas, Just download the following program:
PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor
Then save Chris's picture to your desk top temporarily. Open the software and it has a button to open a file. Open the picture and there's enough data to tell what brand of underwear Chris likes. That is assuming he didn't strip the EXIF data from the shot or use a PP program that doesn't transfer the info when it saves.
Guess what, Chris stripped the data

QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
Thanks Peter,

I downloaded and installed the program, but don't see the information that I'm looking for. I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right spot. I see all sorts of info, but not the film speed/aperature/shutter speed etc. Where should I be looking?

Thanks,

Anthropas
You won't find any on that picture. I'm starting to remove more and more data as well
02-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have to admit px-pix, that the ring of light in the eye is very distracting (sorry Codiac2600). I have never been a big fan of ring flashes either, but they do have their uses. I do like the side lighting and the results you obtained.
02-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I dig this a lot! I love all these DIY projects you're taking on with wonderful results!

Also, dig her pose and your composition on this one... great angle!
02-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Looks like your lighting setup worked well.
Nice reasonable shadows and detail on your subject without blownout highlights.

Could you post a photo of your setup and positioning of lighting with a subject? That would be very helpful.

These are 4' fluorescent dual tube lighting fixtures with daylight bulbs in each?
How are you supporting these units? What are you using to keep your spill light down?
Have you considered putting a thin white cotton cover over the units to soften the light more?