Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First attempt at Raw
Lens: 18-55 wr Photo Location: Loughor estuary ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Panteg, 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Shot these on this mornings walk along a windswept Loughor estuary nr. Llanelli in South wales .
First attempt in shooting and processing raw files , so how did I do ???????????????????????

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 803
01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the whole point of shooting raw is that you can recover much more information in post processing. all of these are quite underexposed and really need to be corrected.

composition-wise the first three are pretty solid, but they have a tiny dynamic range.... have a crack at processing them - did you do so at all? what software are you using? might pay to have a quick look at some basic instructional videos on youtube or something
01-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There is a forum for critiques, so next time, post there. I think the shots are good. Though, to completely master developing raw files will take a while, so just keep at it. But on the other hand, there isn't really much more to do with these photos. As stated some photos require more processing than others
01-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Attempted to process using Silkypix? , seems I have a lot to learn will get studying and practicing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This one any better ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the one you just posted is improved and better
01-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks , what do you think of this one ? , I think it's going in the right direction?.
01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ah, I have to tell you an important thing now: There is a thing I like to call "the Raw Trap"! This is when you start making little changes and edits to your raw files and then not being able to decide which is best and then you give up and you go to the next file and do the same thing! The best strategy is to do the first edit soon after taking the photo, and take another look at it a couple hours or days later to fix it up some more. And ultimately, you will have to decide what is best for yourself
The composition for that photo is pretty good, I personally like some contrast, but I prefer the slightly brighter version. Unless you want to give it a dark mood. But that is just my opinion.

01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm a pretty dark , moody kind of guy so may be that's why the last one works for me.

Thanks for your input

Rich