Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Sick and bored = good photos
Posted By: codiac2600, 02-22-2008, 04:38 PM

I have a cold, stayed home from work and got super bored. Tried a new approach to lighting and here are the results. Sorry for the wrinkles in the paper... it's about 20 years old and has a strange texture and wrinkles much too easily.

Test shot:

Final shot:

Test shot #2

Final shot #2:

Thats all she wrote!
Views: 3,032
02-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the first final a lot! There is something very satisfying to see a good photo of clear water and pure transparent glass, specially in an action like this!

Thanks for sharing your experimental work with us, again!

02-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I like the 2nd one best. In the 1st the glass is not quite vertical. Probably your cold, you must have sneezed.
Lol, naw no sneeze just a test shot for the lighting etc. Nailed the settings in one try which doesn't happen often.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They look good Chris, I like that splash technique.
Thanks Stu.

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
The second one is excellent Chris
Thank you Thomas

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Very cool splash shot Chris! Nicely done...
Thanks Marc! Long time no see

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Chris - great stuff, as always. Actually, what's wrong with wrinkles in the backdrop paper?They give the pictures some texture - maybe even character. Had you not mentioned them, I would have thought they were "part of the act", as we used to say in my gigging days.

Jer
Ha thanks Jer... I'm not a fan on wrinkles I guess. Clean images scream professional to me, but the wrinkles don't look bad by any means in the final result.
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sweet bay Quote
I really like the second one too.
Thank You

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
I'm sorry that you're sick... but, I love it when you're bored! That second shot... composition, timing, color..... ah, bravo!
Lol, thanks Hamid. I always have some of my best work when I'm bored because I have the whole time to plan it through I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
#2 for me is best.
Question: Did you use flash to stop the action or shutter speed or both?
Thank you and it was the flash that stopped the action, used 1/180 shutter

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
I think the jury is in........

#2 should be in a magazine! Excellent shot. Was this shot pulled off with a back light and a side flash only? (burst mode and remote release)
Lol, thank you. A light under and shot up into the background, table was elevated and shot in single shot with cable release. I'm too used to the timing on the K10D.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like the last 2 shots. You are very good with lighting
Thanks James.
02-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
I seem to be the only guy tout here preferring final shot no1. There is much more attention drawn to where the action is... in the splashing glass.

Agreed; The glass could be exactly vertical; or more off the verical axis (= more intentionally not-vertical).

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Syb.

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
You should make sure you get bored on a regular basis Chris. Very creative images. Nice lighting.

Paul
Lol, thanks Paul. Yeah I get bored quite often just have to hand me a camera and I'll play all day long.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
nicely done Chris, we all benifit from your bordom. Hope you're feeling better soon. #2 should go to PPG.
Thanks Peter and I'm finally better today and have the urge to check the forums again.

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
That's really cool I vote no.2 also. Now get yourself some chicken soup
Lol, cooking some up right now actually, but the cold is almost over with.

02-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I like the first final a lot! There is something very satisfying to see a good photo of clear water and pure transparent glass, specially in an action like this!

Thanks for sharing your experimental work with us, again!
Thank you and it's the way I work, I love sharing if it makes people happy.