Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Lens: Sigma APO 300/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Brisbane, Australia ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: cmohr, 01-30-2013, 04:25 AM

Found a nice spot to shoot these blokes. Had to shoot at high ISO, sun had almost gone down, and I was actually shooting into the sun for most. All taken with the Sigma 300 plus 1.4TC.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   

Views: 2,705
01-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice indeed. I've tried capturing them but to no avail.
01-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots. I got a sulphur crested cockatoo myself a couple of days ago while trying out my new K-01 with (even newer) Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 II DC HSM. It was a young bird that exited the nest too early and was trying to climb a tree using beak and claws. Only problem was that the eucalypt bark kept stripping off and it kept falling to the ground and starting over again. It made for a fairly compliant subject. Next day it was flying, so there was a good outcome. The image is a 20% resize. It was shot as a jpeg, and has had no cropping or other PP, because I want to use it in a review of the lens. Initial impression is that it a good lens for the money ($300 at Ted's).

01-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

gorgeous creature

01-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice captures ... J
01-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great captures cmohr, well done .

cheers
01-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

always loved these amazing creatures... and a treat to see them without cage.... dave m

01-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I really like the ones where they are in flight or doing stuff. We don't have these birds over here, and I usually only get to see them in still photos, just sitting on branches not doing anything, or as pets, in a cage. So its really interesting to see them actually moving and doing stuff. Thanks for sharing
01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Very nice indeed. I've tried capturing them but to no avail.
Thank-you, Yes they either just sit there, or they are off like a shot, tricky buggers.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shots. I got a sulphur crested cockatoo myself a couple of days ago while trying out my new K-01 with (even newer) Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 II DC HSM. It was a young bird that exited the nest too early and was trying to climb a tree using beak and claws. Only problem was that the eucalypt bark kept stripping off and it kept falling to the ground and starting over again. It made for a fairly compliant subject. Next day it was flying, so there was a good outcome. The image is a 20% resize. It was shot as a jpeg, and has had no cropping or other PP, because I want to use it in a review of the lens. Initial impression is that it a good lens for the money ($300 at Ted's).
Glad the little guy found his wings, will take a look at your review when you do it.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
gorgeous creature
Thanks Wildman, They are a personal Favorite of mine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Nice captures ... J
Merci beaucoup Jean

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
great captures cmohr, well done .

cheers
Thanks Cee Cee, I try.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
always loved these amazing creatures... and a treat to see them without cage.... dave m
Where I was there was about 20 or so all milling around getting in a bit of Dinner before bedtime, Now I know where to find them I'll pop back in better light.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I really like the ones where they are in flight or doing stuff. We don't have these birds over here, and I usually only get to see them in still photos, just sitting on branches not doing anything, or as pets, in a cage. So its really interesting to see them actually moving and doing stuff. Thanks for sharing
Thanks Na Horuk, catching them in flight was a bit harder than I expected, I was about 40-50 metres away, but it was still like tracking bullets. In the last two pics you see here, one he is sitting on the branch, the next second he started to launch into flight, I just shot 7fps and caught him just as he was lifting off, you can see the branch he was sitting on "whipping" upwards in the last photo.

Thanks Everybody for Looking and the nice comments

cmohr
01-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Beautiful birds, beautifully captured! Great job despite the adverse lighting conditions.
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice shots for some trying conditions. They are a good subject and often plentiful too.
01-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
They are a good subject and often plentiful too.
There are hundreds of the noisy beggars around here!.
01-31-2013, 01:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well captured