Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Roan Mountain, Frosted
Lens: DA 21, FA 50 (mostly) Camera: K 20D Photo Location: Roan Mt - Tennessee/North Carolina 
Posted By: mole, 01-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Had a good wintry hike on Roan Mountain recently. Down in the valley it was cool and damp, but up on the Mt it was much colder and damper. Fog and wind worked together with the cold to create some frost and rime magic!

Roan Mt is a rich and delightful place at any season. High elevation (much of it over 6,000 feet), massive rock formations and grassy balds make for great views. Unique flora with many rare and endemic species make for exciting discoveries. And the weather is often quite dramatic at these heights!

There wasn't all that much snow on this trip from Carver's Gap to Grassy Bald. Some drifts of a foot or so, mostly inches or less. But the fog & low clouds froze to inches of frost on the trees and shrubs, and even on the fence. (PS - this fence was placed a few years ago after a trail re-route, to protect a sensitive habitat from erosion).

It was fascinating to see how high up on the spruce trees the frozen fog could reach, and how wide the frozen fog could spread!

Roan's rocks held of the most interesting frozen patterns. Perhaps it was because of varied surface textures, or maybe the way the rocks affected the wind patterns across the rock faces...

Was hoping for some sun and clearing sky to brighten the views. Only got a few glimpses between the clouds, but enough for some interesting lighting...

Hope you enjoyed these frosty views of Roan Mt. Perhaps they've wetted your appetite for a hike on the Roan. If so, you might want to check out their Winter Naturalist Rally, to be held on February 16th.

Thanks in advance for any comments, critique & suggestions!

Views: 1,671
01-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really lovely, great area anytime of year and these show the winter beauty. Hope you made it through today's storms OK, too.
01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Enjoyed those! Really cool shots and amazing ice formations. I'm just glad I'm here and not there
01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One word comes to mind; I'll say it three times: beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

01-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are beautiful and COLD-looking shots! Love the unusual lighting & different ice formations you encountered. Thanks for sharing
01-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So glad to have this winter tour of Roan Mountain from the comfort of home! Many extraordinary shots here, but the second of those rock closeups is amazing -- like crystals in a cave.
01-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoyed the shots .Especially the 4th lone tree, and the barbed wire fence.

01-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jacquot - Yes, Roan sure is a lovely landscape at any time of year. And thanks for asking, we did weather the recent storms just fine. Still busy digging out our park trails, but people are all fine...

GeoJerry - Glad you enjoyed these - despite the cold!

Causey - You are too kind...

Paul - Thanks so much!

Baro-nite - You should come visit for yourself - it's far more beautiful than my little snapshots can portray. And yes, those frosted rocks were amazing - I took over 60 shots of those alone...

Patrick - Those were among my favorites too.