Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Margarette Falls
Lens: Mostly DA 21 Camera: K 20D Photo Location: Greene County Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM

A very popular hike in Greene County Tennessee - less than two miles on well-maintained trail (only one rather shallow unbridged creek crossing) - leads to a lovely 60 foot waterfall in the Bald Mt scenic area.

Before you get to the main falls, you can enjoy many lovely little riffles along dry creek...

The first half mile or so of trail is on private property, but the landowner has graciously given permission for the US Forest Service to maintain a trail across his land. This is a great stretch of trail for dragonflies (not now in winter of course) and also a great place to admire the complex geology of the Bald Mt area...

There are several other good trails that branch off from the Margarette Falls trail, leading to more remote parts of Bald Mt.

But the primary trail continues on a gentle grade up the creek valley, past year-round lush habitats...

And before you know it, the trail has brought you to Margarette Falls! Flow of this falls does not vary as much as some - there's always at least some water. We've seen it fuller than this, but not much fuller - it's been a wet season so far...

There are several "unofficial" trails up above the falls, but it was too cold a day for the deep wading required. So we decided to save the trip on up to Bailey Falls and the overlooks for another day.

Hope you enjoyed this quick, soggy hike, and that you will share your comments & critique!

Views: 1,191
01-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I enjoyed it very much, thanks! A beautiful area, well-captured.
01-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stunning, exceptional! I really like the effect.
How did you do #2 and #4? It looks like you have two different DOF's operating in them.
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great falls series, but my favorite is the last one.

01-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing these
01-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Julie - Thanks so much! Indeed we in East Tennessee are blessed with many beautiful, photogenic places.

GeoJerry - I think what you are seeing is a combination of two factors. First, the deep DOF of the DA 21 - which resulted in good focus both in front of and behind the water. Second, the slow shutter speed blurring the water itself.

Causey - Thanks for your kind words! Actually, last was taken at different location - while riding my bicycle to a local school to share nature education with the children, just happened to notice this fine foggy sunrise scene.

Patrick - And thanks for taking time to comment!
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great series, some wonderful shots ..... thanks for allowing me to come along
cheers

01-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful area, great narrative and use of SS, the last is picture perfect
01-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think these are quite well done. Waterfalls are great subjects and you have done really well with these.

Marcus