Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The toe of Old Tom Mountain...
Posted By: clarenceclose, 02-23-2008, 08:25 PM

got torn apart some time back. The scar is still new enough to be rugged and very scenic.

Went for a drive today, exploring new territory and backroads. Will be back to this one in other seasons. Was a tough capture as the lighting was pretty flat, but lots of interesting features in a short drive. It looks as if the mountain were torn apart, a small creek flows through the bottom, and a paved narrow curvy road follows the creek. I suspect the creek was moved to accommodate the road.

Any thoughts on how these shots might be improved....lighting, composition, you name it...

Toe of Old Tom Mountain off Arimo road

Hillside Cut...struggled to capture the depth

detail of the snow on the cliff faces

Small frozen waterfall

And something completely different.

We saw dozens of pheasants, both sexes, in the cattle feeding stations along the way.
Cows being notorious for incomplete digestion give the birds a shot at some seed in the waste stream and they get to keep their feet warm. Sorry for the composition but it was a grab shot as these birds are extremely spooked, running or flying at any approach.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-01-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Views: 1,888
02-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
72 Lookers and no one will offer a critique....
If it is bad, let me know what doesn't come across....
If it has some redeeming value, if only in part, go ahead and say something about it...
Am looking for inputs and looking to improve so have at me.
02-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Clarence, no responses I dont know why they are a great set of pictures. My favourite kind, mountains!

No.1 is very nice, I like the fact its got a cold blueness to it to reflect the snowy conditions, maybe to blue? The way the summit dissapears into the cloud/ mist is very effective.

In terms of colour no3 is very good. I really like that shot and no4.

Not much else I can add, really good stuff
02-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice shots Clarence. I really like 1 for the same reasons as Tom and the complementary lines. Don't know if it's my eyes but 2 seems a little out of focus. I think a bigger size would do more justice to the next two, the first of these though doesn't seem to provide much interest, the second does in my view and it would be nice to see a larger version. You did well to get so close to the pheasants.

Paul

02-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #5

I like them all very much myself. IMHO you did everything right since the point of most pictures is to let someone else experience what you experienced first hand. I have not seen a lot of mountains, snow, or ice in my time since I am from Louisiana so it kind of takes me there without having to go - so thanks for that.
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Inactive Account

all great shots. i like the tops disappearing in the mist.

they also remind me of one of the main reasons we left...got tired of shoveling snow...but i guess that comes with the rugged mountain landscape.

thanks, clarence.
02-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a nice set of pictures Clarence, if I had to pick I'd choose number four.

Take care, Heinrich

02-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Clarence, like the depth of the second especially. You sure live in a beautiful area. Like how you caught the mist in the first two.

NaCl(too bad that Idaho/Montana don't have coasts)H2O
02-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to have a quick car trip like that. wonderful Mts and those pheasant are pretty good as well.
02-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Clarence. No 1 and 4 are my favorite. Beautiful scenery in deed
02-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Great photos Clarence, I really like 1 and 4.
02-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Like them all, looks like a great part of the world. Favourites are 3 and 4. Thanks for letting me see
02-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your responses.

Paul, the haze in the air made it difficult to show a sharp focus and lent a blueish cast to everything. These clouds weren't very thick so the blue sky above lent them the cooler colors.
I agree it would be nicer to see some shots much larger as I have found the context and presentation changes when a larger shot is given but forum rules and screen sizes dictate.

Salty, am just waiting for the big earthquake then I can begin to sell beachfront property out my back pasture.

Thank you again.