Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some kid shots using old lenses
Posted By: dosdan, 02-24-2008, 02:06 AM

Super Takumar 50/F1.4 (M42 mount) & Pentax-A 70-200/F4 (beach shots)

Views: 1,465
02-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good manual work, cute kids
02-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice studies. Sharp, colouful images. Been wishing I hadn't parted with some of my M42 screw thread lenses lately.

Paul
02-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Igilligan

Nice family shots dosdan

Your Zoom beach shots are really sharp... nice lens. And the trampoline shot is a perfect shot.

The manual lenses are a lot of fun on the kid shots. I use my S-M-C tak 50 1.4 a lot more than my FA 50 1.4. The FA 50 is a fine lens but it seems to miss focus too often below f2. It could just be me, but I have read others with the same complaint.

But with the old manual lenses, I tend to check focus better, plus I know I am going to miss some so I am less disappointed, but sometimes with the FA50 I shoot 20 shots in AF and get home and find all 20 were just slightly OOF.... Again if I had stopped shooting and checked focus at shot # 4 in the series I might have done better with the AF but.....

I hope you dont mind, but I so enjoy sharing these Old lens family shots...

S-M-C tak 50 1.4
Attachment 8817

200mm F4 super tak (a fairly tight crop)
Attachment 8818

Last edited by Igilligan; 06-20-2008 at 10:19 AM.
02-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Nice shots for your two cuties, Igilligan.

Yes, the S/T 50/F1.4 is a challenge to focus correctly. But to me that's part of the hobby aspect. I don't just want to take photos, I want to master the technical skills and the art form and become "A Photographer".

What I like most about kid shots is getting unexpected insights/impressions of my kids.

For example, the 2nd photo, my daughter Uma lying on the sofa, daydreaming (probably musing about how silly her dad is taking photos all the time), shows a look I've never seen before. It's almost sophisticated.

And the 2 photos of my youngest son, Kaiea. The second look (shot 4) is the one I'm familiar with (a laughing imp fighting with his sister- I think he was digging his fingers into her arm trying to get her to let him go), but in the first of his appearances here (shot 3), it suggests to me how he may look when he's older. I doubt I would have noticed that at the time of shooting - I was too busy and too much was going on. But later, it draws my attention.

And I like the way the water drops are captured in that photo. It's good when you can see that in a photo because you tend to miss it at the time.

Do you have some shots of your kids that present a different "look" than you are normally aware of? For example, it seems to me the second of your shots shows a more serious side of your daughter. Well, as serious as you can be with red paint on the end of your nose.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-24-2008 at 09:06 PM.
02-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Igilligan

I do know the moments you are describing, where you see the picture on the computer and you think "that cant be my little baby" they look so grown up... You get a real glimse of them as a child rather than a toddler or teenager rather than a child.. I have some of those and will find some for you. I recently had a computer crash so It may take a bit but I will definately go looking. I love those moments.
It is a very weird/wonderful feeling when it happens...

"And I like the way the water drops are captured in that photo. It's good when you can see that in a photo because you tend to miss it at the time."

There is good and bad in that... I have those moments, where you realize something that you did not at the time thanks to the photograph, but then I also have the ones where I realize I missed being "in the moment" because I was behind the camera the whole time... A real balancing act that I struggle with on the family shots.

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-25-2008 at 11:23 AM.