Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Kettle Moraine Day and Night
Lens: Bower 14mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-x Photo Location: Palmyra, WI 
Posted By: krp, 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM

About a month ago I was getting tired of the sparse snowfall around here (about an inch on the ground). So I drove an hour north to the Kettle Moraine state forest where there was nearly 5 inches of snow. It's an area of hilly terrain left behind by glaciers. I started off hiking at Bald Bluff, a 200 foot hill. I wasn't aware of the history until after I read the brochure there. In July of 1832 during the Black Hawk War, General Atkinson camped very close to here along with Abraham Lincoln, Zachary Taylor, and 3,500 cavalry. The Potawatami Indians also used this hill to make smoke signals that could be seen for hundreds of miles. After hiking for 5 miles and warming up in my car, I went back up there after sunset to shoot startrails.

For the last two pictures I used the device in this blog post to hold my shutter down and let me stack startrail pictures. Votes are appreciated for the contest
Views: 734
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice!
02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lovely series, with two great astro-shots. Taken with one of my favorite lens, nevertheless