Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Which do you like?
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 02-24-2008, 04:15 PM

I have looked at this set of pictures for a week and can't decide if I like them or not.... GRRR... What are you thoughts ???

1. Basic Landscape... I like the blue of the sky... but I think there bottom is too busy....

2. This is is alittle better. It isn't as busy.

3. I really like this one for its simplicity but does it have to much sky?

If I had to pic a favorite of the three I really want to chose #3 but then ... oh heck I dont know.. Whats your opinion??? perhaps none of them really work....
Views: 1,660
02-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like 1 and 3 especially Kim. The broken pen(?) adds foreground interest but somehow I think 1 would be better without it. With the right dimensions I think 3 is a piece of art you could hang on the wall.

Paul
02-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

My fav is the 1st. Great exposure and I dont think the bottom half is to busy at all. However, there seems to be a large re-occuring white spot at the top of all three pics, cant think what it might be
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to say that 3 is my least favorite and 1 is my favorite. ! has a nice pano look with a good expense of the sky with the moon. It is busy but all on the same theme and your eye just takes it in. three to me, is just the tops of trees and the sky/moon. I do tend to have more cluttered pictures so don't take my advise too strongly.

02-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Definitely the landscape orientation is better. First shot that is.

There is more details and scenery in the first shot while the other two are less inclusive with no themes
02-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I like them all Kim, but I will offer an observation or two.

On the first one my eye seems to roam from the moon in the top left then down to the pile of rubbish and old car on the lower left; the right side seems to be an afterthought. The contrast between the blue sky, the green trees and the white snow is gorgeous, though.

I like the second shot the best. Without the moon hanging there it would have been too much sky, but it works! My eye seems to start on the pile of rubbish (although it does look like a wooden wagon or something) and roams up to the moon. This negates the secondary glance to the right in the first picture.

The third one is nice but maybe just too much sky. If you could move the moon a tad lower and make it bigger it might work for me. (In the absence of God-like powers to move the heavens and earth you might try some Photoshop trickery! )

You sure do live in a lovely place with tons of potential for landscape photography. Your pictures are either the 'fun with the family' type or, I'm guessing here, more serious and creative when you are by yourself. Both are good but don't be afraid to try more of these types of photographs. You are blessed with a creative mind but seem apprehensive about the results at times. Keep up the great work!
02-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the feedback...

Thanks for the feedback everyone... I may try to crop the left side off the first one maybe that will help.?? I was surprise the most liked it the best..

I am also going to try and "tweak" the third one to get rid of some of the blue....

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
You sure do live in a lovely place with tons of potential for landscape photography. Your pictures are either the 'fun with the family' type or, I'm guessing here, more serious and creative when you are by yourself. Both are good but don't be afraid to try more of these types of photographs. You are blessed with a creative mind but seem apprehensive about the results at times. Keep up the great work!
Thank you Jeff for the kind words they are greatly appreciated. This whole thing is still kind of new and so I do get alittle "apprehensive" but my confidence is slowly growing.. I guess my biggest fear is being ordinary with these types of shots..

Thank you everyone for your comments... I will try to the "play" with these and maybe repost them to see if it helps..

02-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Kim,
No 2 is my pick, but I would have liked to have seen some shots "through" the old wagon. Could you have got down low enough to include the moon 'through' the wagon?? C'mon its only snow.

I also see another old farm implement beyond & left of the wagon partly buried in the snow, that might have been worth a look too.

But, hey, its not about what i think, its about what you are trying to do and what makes you happy.

At least you are getting out there and doing it, which is more than I am at the moment, so hearty congratulations.
Cheers,
Grant
02-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good Idea..

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Hi Kim,
No 2 is my pick, but I would have liked to have seen some shots "through" the old wagon. Could you have got down low enough to include the moon 'through' the wagon?? C'mon its only snow.

I also see another old farm implement beyond & left of the wagon partly buried in the snow, that might have been worth a look too. But, hey, its not about what i think, its about what you are trying to do and what makes you happy.

At least you are getting out there and doing it, which is more than I am at the moment, so hearty congratulations. Cheers, Grant
Thanks Grant for the ideas..... I never really thought about looking through the slats on the wagon.. But the moon as the pictures show was pretty high in the sky and I am not sure that I could of gotten low enough without digging a tunnel in the snow.

I did take a couple pics of the old burried equipment but my white balance was off and I couldn't get them the way I wanted..

If I get back up there before the snow is gone I will try your idea.. Thanks again.. Kim
02-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can try all sorts of things with dof etc and get some really interesting/different results.
What used to be on that site Kim? looks an interesting place for an old scrounger like me.
02-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
second attempt for #1

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
What used to be on that site Kim? looks an interesting place for an old scrounger like me.
This is an old homestead.... Originally built in the early 1900's.. I mentioned it on another thread but can't remember exactly.. its old.... My friends dad still lives there and his grandfather homesteaded the place. Its great.. Next time I am up there I will take some pics of the house and other buildings... They are pretty covered with snow at the moment..

here are some changes to picture #1...

This one I cropped out the left side and tightened it a bit. Did it make it better?

Then I additional cropped out the Moon.. sniff sniff... .as well..

I like the second on alittle better... what do you think ???
02-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, last one does it for me.
Sounds like a treasure trove of a place for photog opportunities...well to me anyway. I'm a sucker for old things and landscapes and to roll them both onto one site is my interpretation of heaven.

Just looking at your shots I wonder what sort of opportunity is in the strainer (corner) post (behind the tree), looking past that to that set of old wheels poking out of the snow, playing with angles, dof, etc etc......and then probably getting a big snowball in the back of the head for my troubles!!

Great place Kim, the history in it must be palpable.

Lets see more....please
Chheers.
02-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The first picture isn't too busy at all Kim
It's a pleasant landscape, with perfect exposure.

My personal opinion of #3 is I'd like to see the moon off to one side or another just a little
It's just my personal opinion on it, so don't feel the need to change it. I'm neither right or wrong about it's position
If there was more clouds in the sky, helping with the framing I'd feel differently about it.
02-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The last one I think works best. Nice shot.