Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
VCU vs. Fordham from "sort of courtside"
Lens: smc Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 Camera: Pentax K-5 IIs Photo Location: Richmond, VA 
Posted By: WillWeaverRVA, 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Since the beginning of basketball season, I've brought my trusty K-5 (since replaced as my primary camera with a K-5 IIs) to every VCU home game, and I've become a content provider for the VCU Rowdy Rams, the university's official student fan group. For our homecoming game against the Fordham Rams (yes, the Rams played the Rams...and last Wednesday the Rams also played the Rams...of Rhode Island), they invited me to stand with them so I could potentially get better shots and make a case for myself as a potential courtside photographer. I'd like to share my results, because I'm quite proud of them and despite being limited to the DA55-300, the pictures are almost more popular than those shot with Canon 5Ds and Nikon D800s!

Views: 748
02-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Excellent work Will.

Tom G
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
MSM
Veteran Member

Nice shots, Will. I like the one with Coach Smart in the background. ( I am glad he didn't leave to take the Illini job). I guess the Rams won then. Sorry. VCU is a strong team with a great coach. I am an Indiana Hoosier Fan. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Mark
02-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like them all - just proves it's the carpenter and not the tools.

02-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

I suggest that you turn your camera 90 degrees when shooting under the basket.
02-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stepmac Quote
I suggest that you turn your camera 90 degrees when shooting under the basket.
Duly noted. I'm still working on getting adjusted to shooting games from this close up, and I've noticed that could've improved a number of my shots. Thanks!
02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Duly noted. I'm still working on getting adjusted to shooting games from this close up, and I've noticed that could've improved a number of my shots. Thanks!
I'll tell you something you can do re/sports photography. I worked for the local high school year book for a three years. Had to take a zillion sports pictures - all film. I learned a lot. Wish I'd had a digital camera and had taken burst shots.

You might be able to volunteer to take pics for your local high school to use in their yearbook. They are always looking for help taking pics. Most of the ones the kids take are pretty terrible.
02-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stepmac Quote
I'll tell you something you can do re/sports photography. I worked for the local high school year book for a three years. Had to take a zillion sports pictures - all film. I learned a lot. Wish I'd had a digital camera and had taken burst shots.

You might be able to volunteer to take pics for your local high school to use in their yearbook. They are always looking for help taking pics. Most of the ones the kids take are pretty terrible.
Sounds like a marvelous idea. I'll have to see if I can do that, Richmond definitely has some powerhouse high schools (Benedictine High School and Highland Springs High School come to mind as places where good college players tend to come from).