Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Supermarket frenzy before the blizzard.
Lens: 18-250 Camera: k5 Photo Location: Hannaford's-Saugus Ma. 
Posted By: charliezap, 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM

This is the calm before the storm just like when a hurricane is about to hit.It starts tomorrow morning and goes downhill from there with this "Epoch Boston Event." The latest forecast has 2ft of snow here and if thunder snow sets up with 3" per hour-- accumulations of close to 3 ft are possible.I started a page on facebook the other day with just photos.One of the albums will feature this storm before and after.If you are a facebooker I welcome you to check out my new page.I'm still setting it up and there are some photos there that many may have seen before.If the link doesn't work it's called "charlie zapolski photography" on facebook.Bring on snowmageddon.--charliezap
https://www.facebook.com/CharlieZapolskiPhotography
Name:  001crp.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  294.5 KB
the lines were just starting to grow.
Name:  003crp.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  225.4 KB
the deli wasn't too bad
Name:  004crp.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  231.4 KB
People waitng to check out
Name:  007crp.jpg
Views: 3364
Size:  275.0 KB
Now it's crazy.
Name:  011crp.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  233.8 KB
my spot in line
Name:  013crp.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  241.0 KB
I made it to the door.
Just minutes ago at 4PM we are now in an official blizzard warning.Watch the Weather Channel for this historic event if it comes together as advertised.--charliezap

Views: 4,499
02-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Needless to say, I'll bet the Merlot is sold out, be safe Charlie.
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Needless to say, I'll bet the Merlot is sold out, be safe Charlie.
The Governor wants everyone off the roads by noon tomorrow Bob.I have time to get a jug.Here is the homestead today.--Saturday-Sunday may present a different look.--charliezap
Attached Images

02-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guarantee if you went and checked the fridge and cupboards of 90% of the people who flock to the supermarkets before a storm, they will have enough food and drink at home to last them 1-2 days of being snowed in. Most of them even longer. People just like to flock and follow like wild animals. It's the "well, everyone goes to the supermarket to get bread, milk, and water before a storm, so I should, too" mentality.

Either way, nice job capturing the flock. There's something I've always liked about supermarket photos, ever since seeing Gursky's work.

02-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't imagine you could get that much snow there Charlie, that's just not right for that much snow to fall. Maybe your local politicians will pass a law prohibiting more than 6 inches of snow at any given time.
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great photo's of the panic in the stores.

Good luck with all the predicted snow. We've had lot's of snow since early November and frankly I've had it. I've been shoveling / snowblowing about every 2nd day and our winter usually stretches into late March/ early April. It never disappears till the spring melt, due to cold temps. Right now, Nevada looks good.

Three feet is a lot and in Boston it maybe wet and heavy snow....hard to shovel.

Post an 'after' pix. It would be interesting to see before/after and take care shoveling....don't hurt yourself.
02-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
When I read the title of the thread, I honestly thought it was going to be pics of birds at a feeder before the snow.

I agree with the previous comments, people go overboard in situations like these. Down here in the south if we expect a "light dusting", school is closed and people head to the stores and stock up on eggs, bread and milk. Must be a a lot of french toast that ends up getting made. My wife was a manager at a grocery store for 20 years and she hated times like these.

Best of luck to all of you in the New England area.

02-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I guarantee if you went and checked the fridge and cupboards of 90% of the people who flock to the supermarkets before a storm, they will have enough food and drink at home to last them 1-2 days of being snowed in. Most of them even longer. People just like to flock and follow like wild animals. It's the "well, everyone goes to the supermarket to get bread, milk, and water before a storm, so I should, too" mentality.

Either way, nice job capturing the flock. There's something I've always liked about supermarket photos, ever since seeing Gursky's work.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I can't imagine you could get that much snow there Charlie, that's just not right for that much snow to fall. Maybe your local politicians will pass a law prohibiting more than 6 inches of snow at any given time.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great photo's of the panic in the stores.

Good luck with all the predicted snow. We've had lot's of snow since early November and frankly I've had it. I've been shoveling / snowblowing about every 2nd day and our winter usually stretches into late March/ early April. It never disappears till the spring melt, due to cold temps. Right now, Nevada looks good.

Three feet is a lot and in Boston it maybe wet and heavy snow....hard to shovel.

Post an 'after' pix. It would be interesting to see before/after and take care shoveling....don't hurt yourself.
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
When I read the title of the thread, I honestly thought it was going to be pics of birds at a feeder before the snow.

I agree with the previous comments, people go overboard in situations like these. Down here in the south if we expect a "light dusting", school is closed and people head to the stores and stock up on eggs, bread and milk. Must be a a lot of french toast that ends up getting made. My wife was a manager at a grocery store for 20 years and she hated times like these.

Best of luck to all of you in the New England area.
As much as I like the excitement of weather events the other side of the coin is that many people will suffer. Let's hope for the best for all concerned.--charliezap
02-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see the essentials were being bought Chocolate chip waffles and pop tarts My kind of meals
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Those are some nicely shot inside shots Charlie! Nice even exposure and good color. You guys up there keep in mind, it's been in the 70s here all week, and I can get out and about with ease in the nice sunny weather.....so if you run short of food, let me know, I can send you all the fresh tender squirrels you can eat. Just add Squirrel Helper and you're all set for any storm that comes along!

Regards!
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
The Governor wants everyone off the roads by noon tomorrow Bob.I have time to get a jug.Here is the homestead today.--Saturday-Sunday may present a different look.--charliezap
Any chance of a time-lapse?
Break out that Optio WG!!!!
02-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I see the essentials were being bought Chocolate chip waffles and pop tarts My kind of meals
I just got up (4AM) for a bathroom run and checked the latest forecast.If anything it's getting worse for Boston.--charliezap
02-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I work in the fast food industry. I've come to realize that there are two ways you can tell when something big is rolling in: the pick'em-up trucks all sprout plows, and everyone (even the little old ladies) who come into the restaurant suddenly start orderng the biggest most expensive sandwich meals on the menu. I think its some kind of instinctual 'storing food' thing.
02-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Those are some nicely shot inside shots Charlie! Nice even exposure and good color. You guys up there keep in mind, it's been in the 70s here all week, and I can get out and about with ease in the nice sunny weather.....so if you run short of food, let me know, I can send you all the fresh tender squirrels you can eat. Just add Squirrel Helper and you're all set for any storm that comes along!

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Any chance of a time-lapse?
Break out that Optio WG!!!!
It's a steady light snow so before it really starts to stick I'm off to mall down the street for wine and sandwiches.--charliezap
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
It's a steady light snow so before it really starts to stick I'm off to mall down the street for wine and sandwiches.--charliezap
Yesterday I got one of those robocalls from my pharmacy that one of my maintenance prescriptions was ready for a refill. Got off the highway one exit short of the usual, took the backroads to the drive through - and - the line of cars stretched into the street.

Well - I thought I'll beat the system, so I parked. Waited in the stand-up line for 30 minutes to get my monthly ration of generic Lipitor. Huh. I've never, ever had to wait even i person before.

I guess since all the local news stations are reporting on Boston's coming Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon or whatever people in Missouri figure they better stock up on bread, milk and pharmaceuticals just in case.

In case of what, I don't know. Maybe it is a Pavlovian response to a snow forecast. Anywhere.