Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Chevys
Posted By: Sailor, 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM

For reasons I don't completely comprehend, our community of Lake Jackson today celebrated it's 70th anniversary with an auto and motorcycle show (complete with vendors selling the artery-clogging foods Texans adore). The show contained the usual mix of '60s muscle cars; scads of contemporary Corvettes, SVT Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers (all of which you can see parked at any mall), and various hot rods. However, there were two cars that stirred my interest: a '63 Corvette split window coupe and a '71 Camaro. I also took a couple of shots of an example of the ubiquitous '57 Chevy; these cars are considered icons by some (I've never felt the vibe) so I included the pics in this trio of Chevys of yore.

The Vette is truly something - a 340 HP, 327 car that the current (and second) owner fully restored (frame-off). This is a true garage find - a matching number car which even has the original chalk marks (retained during restoration) made when the car was assembled. Unlike everything else I saw today, this is a concours-level car, which the owner drives only on and off the truck that tows it to shows.

The '71 Camaro, a car which you don't see often these days, is especially interesting to me, since Connie and I bought one new that same year. I adored that car - something I can't say for the two Camaros that followed it.

Jer

'63 Corvette Coupe:

'71 Camaro:

'57 Chevy:

Views: 3,367
02-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great shot of the Morgan. I see that it has a JAP engine. Another engine option for the Morgan of this era was the Matchless V-Twin. I have a soft spot for Matchless, as I have a '67 Matchless 750 G15 CS Scrambler....they were also known as Desert Sleds. I'm restoring it...very slowly.

That '63 Vette photo is well done. The split window coupe has always been # 1 in my view.
Thanks very much. I know little about motorcycles, but folks seem to talk about Matchless with absolute reverence - I suspect restorations take patience.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Is good

The process was very simple. Plug a Hirsch computer into the port above the clutch and download the VIN. Disconnect and plug the computer into the internet to download the software matching the VIN. Plug the computer back into the car and click a couple of buttons on the touch screen. Wait a couple of minutes and disconnect. Start the engine and give a great sigh of relief Then comes the admin stuff. Add a sticker to the fuel filler door to say 98 octane preferred, 95 minimum. Add a moose head badge at the back of the car. It's a tiny badge and looks like original equipment, so there's nothing to say "look at meeee!!!!". Swipe your credit card

Does it go any faster? Oh yes 250 to 275 hp and 350 to 400 NM is significant. Low-end torque is noticeably improved. I haven't had an opportunity yet to try out the high end other than in first, and that doesn't really prove anything. The car just feels friskier. As far as I know, the 155mph speed limiter is still active.

The moose is very important to Saab. As well as the Swedish Crash Test Dummies, Saab has used moose dummies in crash testing for years. They are dangerous things to hit, so it's better to avoid them. The Saab owner's manual still has a little section on how to do that. My manual doesn't show another make of car falling over, but I have seen one where something that looked a lot like a Mercedes A Class did a roll while the Saab just swerved and kept on going I'll take pride in my little moose head

Richard.
Oh man - that sounds wonderful. The moose story is fascinating - you might post a photo of that new moose badge!

Jer

02-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Oh man - that sounds wonderful. The moose story is fascinating - you might post a photo of that new moose badge!

Jer
Hi Jer,

I should probably have put these in my own thread rather than drop them into your thread, but they're just quick shots and I don't think they're worthy of their own "Post Your Photos" thread. I might cross-post to one of the "Mini-Challenges, Games and Photo Stories" threads on cars. But, since we mentioned Mr Red here, I'll beg your indulgence I haven't messed with the colours. This is real.

Richard.
02-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Jer,

I should probably have put these in my own thread rather than drop them into your thread, but they're just quick shots and I don't think they're worthy of their own "Post Your Photos" thread. I might cross-post to one of the "Mini-Challenges, Games and Photo Stories" threads on cars. But, since we mentioned Mr Red here, I'll beg your indulgence I haven't messed with the colours. This is real.

Richard.
Hey that's cool, Richard. Mr. Red is certainly. . . . . . . RED - a deep and rich red that I admire. Thanks for posting these pics here - they're very good detail shots - the moose made me smile, since the badge looks like it came right out of the factory.

Jer
02-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Nice photos. I am not a chevy guy, but I love the split window vettes!

First thought when I see a gold 70s camaro . . . Rockford Files.

02-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Sweet and classic ride there Jer with a few surprises TFS

cheers
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey that's cool, Richard. Mr. Red is certainly. . . . . . . RED - a deep and rich red that I admire. Thanks for posting these pics here - they're very good detail shots - the moose made me smile, since the badge looks like it came right out of the factory.

Jer
Thanks, Jer. I look at your car shots as the way car shots should be done and I think I'm getting better. The red varies depending on the lighting. These were in the car port. Shots taken in the full sun would have been a brighter red. Not as far as Ferrari red. The moose head was designed to look like a factory badge. It's meant to be mounted a bit higher so that the curve from the "9" and the "3" leads to the moose. That works really well on the cars that don't have the rear winglet. So David (service manager extraordinaire) and I worked out where to put it. Reasonable compromise, I think.

Richard.
02-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bucfan1234 Quote
Nice photos. I am not a chevy guy, but I love the split window vettes!

First thought when I see a gold 70s camaro . . . Rockford Files.
Hey thanks much. I loved the Rockford Files - lots of fun and some great car chases.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Sweet and classic ride there Jer with a few surprises TFS

cheers
Hey Ivan! Thanks for looking, my friend.

Jer

Thanks, Jer. I look at your car shots as the way car shots should be done and I think I'm getting better. The red varies depending on the lighting. These were in the car port. Shots taken in the full sun would have been a brighter red. Not as far as Ferrari red. The moose head was designed to look like a factory badge. It's meant to be mounted a bit higher so that the curve from the "9" and the "3" leads to the moose. That works really well on the cars that don't have the rear winglet. So David (service manager extraordinaire) and I worked out where to put it. Reasonable compromise, I think.

Richard.
I appreciate the kind words, buddy. I can't wait to hear how Mr. Red's new juice feels on the road; you've gotta be proud of this beautiful and unique car.

Jer

02-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some Chevy's mixed in with this group, gotta love those fins Jer
Attached Images

02-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Cool shot, buddy - those were the days. I was in grade school then and still remember the day my Dad brought home a bright red Plymouth Fury with astonishing fins - I thought it looked like a rocket ship!

Jer
02-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Nice work! What a great collection of cars.