Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Chevys
Posted By: Sailor, 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM

For reasons I don't completely comprehend, our community of Lake Jackson today celebrated it's 70th anniversary with an auto and motorcycle show (complete with vendors selling the artery-clogging foods Texans adore). The show contained the usual mix of '60s muscle cars; scads of contemporary Corvettes, SVT Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers (all of which you can see parked at any mall), and various hot rods. However, there were two cars that stirred my interest: a '63 Corvette split window coupe and a '71 Camaro. I also took a couple of shots of an example of the ubiquitous '57 Chevy; these cars are considered icons by some (I've never felt the vibe) so I included the pics in this trio of Chevys of yore.

The Vette is truly something - a 340 HP, 327 car that the current (and second) owner fully restored (frame-off). This is a true garage find - a matching number car which even has the original chalk marks (retained during restoration) made when the car was assembled. Unlike everything else I saw today, this is a concours-level car, which the owner drives only on and off the truck that tows it to shows.

The '71 Camaro, a car which you don't see often these days, is especially interesting to me, since Connie and I bought one new that same year. I adored that car - something I can't say for the two Camaros that followed it.

Jer

'63 Corvette Coupe:

'71 Camaro:

'57 Chevy:

Views: 3,366
02-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jer, the 63 was the first to be called Sting Ray, to have independent suspension, hidden headlamps and the first offered in a coupe. A fellow in town purchased a new 63 and when the 64's came out the split rear window and hood vents were eliminated. He took the 63 Vette into the body shop and had the rear post removed and the new full width window installed, a new 64 hood was added to make the transformation complete.
I know of someone (a friend of a friend) who did the same thing - what were they thinking?

02-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Den
Veteran Member

Check out Jay Leno's Garage
Video Gallery | Jay Leno's Garage | All Videos : Newest | NBC
02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I know of someone (a friend of a friend) who did the same thing - what were they thinking?
Like a frontal lobotomy .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Hey Den, thanks for the link - Leno has everything. I'd be happy if I could just walk among his Porsches. This guy has definitely put his money where his heart is.

Jer
02-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
Den
Veteran Member

Jer, watch the video of the Morgan. Now, if I could just scrape up $150K.

02-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Jer, watch the video of the Morgan. Now, if I could just scrape up $150K.
That thing is gorgeous - reminds me a bit of the '50s Jags; in fact, browsing for a gift for my granddaughter some time ago, I spotted a Hot Wheels model of this car and couldn't stop myself from buying it.

Last year, I managed to get a couple of shots of a Morgan 3-Wheeler - captured at a small car show in Clute Texas, of all places. I can't remember whether I posted these here earlier, but it's likely that I did.

Jer

02-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
That thing is gorgeous - reminds me a bit of the '50s Jags; in fact, browsing for a gift for my granddaughter some time ago, I spotted a Hot Wheels model of this car and couldn't stop myself from buying it.

Last year, I managed to get a couple of shots of a Morgan 3-Wheeler - captured at a small car show in Clute Texas, of all places. I can't remember whether I posted these here earlier, but it's likely that I did.

Jer
Nice, Jer.

When I was at school in England in the early 1960s, one of the old boys who used to visit every now and then to play in "Old Boy" rugby matches and to participate in music events, was this guy: Anthony Hamilton-Smith, 3rd Baron Colwyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. In 1964 the petrol-heads amongst us got very jealous when we heard about his marriage (see the bottom of his wikipwedia entry) to a young lady named Sonia Morgan who's father, Peter, owned a car company. It was almost too much to contemplate. Was it better to marry a girl who's father owned a pub or one who's father owned a car company? Difficult choice between a lifetime's supply of beer and access to Morgan cars.

Richard.
02-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Nice, Jer.

When I was at school in England in the early 1960s, one of the old boys who used to visit every now and then to play in "Old Boy" rugby matches and to participate in music events, was this guy: Anthony Hamilton-Smith, 3rd Baron Colwyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. In 1964 the petrol-heads amongst us got very jealous when we heard about his marriage (see the bottom of his wikipwedia entry) to a young lady named Sonia Morgan who's father, Peter, owned a car company. It was almost too much to contemplate. Was it better to marry a girl who's father owned a pub or one who's father owned a car company? Difficult choice between a lifetime's supply of beer and access to Morgan cars.

Richard.
Well Richard, you no longer have your Saab, maybe a Morgan for old memories sake.

02-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shots! Love that 57, it is maybe the best looking 57 I have ever seen.
I'm not a Chevy man, I owned a 67 Camaro when they first came out, but wasn't impressed much. I had a 55 Chevy in High School...good looking car, but only got about 20 miles to the quart on oil.
Later got a Roadrunner, and buried all the Chevy's and Fords in town.

Regards!
02-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Chevys
Oops I'm not seeing any images.
02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice, Jer.

Richard.
Now the choice you describe is an undergraduate's conundrum of the first water - I don't even want to think about it lest my head begins to ache. Richard, I always figured you rubbed elbows with the royals.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Well Richard, you no longer have your Saab, maybe a Morgan for old memories sake.
Hey buddy, Richard has "Mr. Red", a hot-rod Saab that's soon gonna be hotter.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great shots! Love that 57, it is maybe the best looking 57 I have ever seen.
I'm not a Chevy man, I owned a 67 Camaro when they first came out, but wasn't impressed much. I had a 55 Chevy in High School...good looking car, but only got about 20 miles to the quart on oil.
Later got a Roadrunner, and buried all the Chevy's and Fords in town.

Regards!
Rupert, I'm glad you liked that '57 - it doesn't turn my crank but I'm glad I shot the picture. During the '70s, I owned six Chevys - the first three were good, the last three displayed increasing degrees of dismal.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Oops I'm not seeing any images.
If you're seeking good photography, consider yourself lucky .

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 02-14-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: I'm an illiterate buffoon.
02-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now the choice you describe is an undergraduate's conundrum of the first water - I don't even want to think about it lest my head begins to ache. Richard, I always figured you rubbed elbows with the royals.
Jer, We sort-of share a common language It wasn't even as sophisticated as undergraduate. "School" as in high school. We were 15 or 16, so you can probably imagine the very serious, intense, world-shaking discussions that took place Just to add to the confusion, the school's name was "Cheltenham College". But wait! There's more! It's a "public school", which means that it's a private school.

No rubbing shoulders, but a bit of chatting across a dining table with Prince Charles. As one does.

Hey buddy, Richard has "Mr. Red", a hot-rod Saab that's soon gonna be hotter.
Oh yeah! Tomorrow morning BTW, it's not really a hot-rod. It's got cup holders and ABS and stability control and climate control and air-bags. I'm getting old. But it is quite fast.

Richard.
02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
Pentaxian

A nice series Jer. I can't wait to get to Englewood Fl where they have a show once a week.---Capn zap
02-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jer, We sort-of share a common language It wasn't even as sophisticated as undergraduate. "School" as in high school. We were 15 or 16, so you can probably imagine the very serious, intense, world-shaking discussions that took place Just to add to the confusion, the school's name was "Cheltenham College". But wait! There's more! It's a "public school", which means that it's a private school.

No rubbing shoulders, but a bit of chatting across a dining table with Prince Charles. As one does.
Oh yeah! Tomorrow morning BTW, it's not really a hot-rod. It's got cup holders and ABS and stability control and climate control and air-bags. I'm getting old. But it is quite fast.

Richard.
How do you like the modifications, Richard?

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A nice series Jer. I can't wait to get to Englewood Fl where they have a show once a week.---Capn zap
Hey Capn - thanks much and I'm looking forward to seeing FL pictures from you.

Jer
02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Great shot of the Morgan. I see that it has a JAP engine. Another engine option for the Morgan of this era was the Matchless V-Twin. I have a soft spot for Matchless, as I have a '67 Matchless 750 G15 CS Scrambler....they were also known as Desert Sleds. I'm restoring it...very slowly.

That '63 Vette photo is well done. The split window coupe has always been # 1 in my view.
02-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you like the modifications, Richard?
Jer
Is good

The process was very simple. Plug a Hirsch computer into the port above the clutch and download the VIN. Disconnect and plug the computer into the internet to download the software matching the VIN. Plug the computer back into the car and click a couple of buttons on the touch screen. Wait a couple of minutes and disconnect. Start the engine and give a great sigh of relief Then comes the admin stuff. Add a sticker to the fuel filler door to say 98 octane preferred, 95 minimum. Add a moose head badge at the back of the car. It's a tiny badge and looks like original equipment, so there's nothing to say "look at meeee!!!!". Swipe your credit card

Does it go any faster? Oh yes 250 to 275 hp and 350 to 400 NM is significant. Low-end torque is noticeably improved. I haven't had an opportunity yet to try out the high end other than in first, and that doesn't really prove anything. The car just feels friskier. As far as I know, the 155mph speed limiter is still active.

The moose is very important to Saab. As well as the Swedish Crash Test Dummies, Saab has used moose dummies in crash testing for years. They are dangerous things to hit, so it's better to avoid them. The Saab owner's manual still has a little section on how to do that. My manual doesn't show another make of car falling over, but I have seen one where something that looked a lot like a Mercedes A Class did a roll while the Saab just swerved and kept on going I'll take pride in my little moose head

Richard.