Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Orion - O-GPS1 first attempt
Posted By: RobG, 02-13-2013, 04:26 AM

The three bright stars of Orion's belt are at the bottom right (remember I'm in the southern hemisphere) and the Orion Nebula is very obvious. I need to take a drive into the countryside to get darker skies. There's short star-trails, but they're shorter that would otherwise be expected at a 79 second exposure at this focal length. I think I could actually drop the ISO to 200 if I use stacking software.
Views: 1,192
02-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

The three bright stars of Orion's belt are at the bottom right (remember I'm in the southern hemisphere) and the Orion Nebula is very obvious. I need to take a drive into the countryside to get darker skies. There's short star-trails, but they're shorter that would otherwise be expected at a 79 second exposure at this focal length. I think I could actually drop the ISO to 200 if I use stacking software.
Congratulations with your first O-GPS1 shot! I am VERY happy with my O-GPS1 and regularly uses it with lenses of 200mm to 350 mm focal length. But maximum exposure times stated in the Pentax literature are a bit "optimistic" and critically dependent upon how successful the precise calibration will be from time to time - at least as soon as you go into cropping and/or pixel-peeping.

Actually, with stacking software such as Deep Sky Stacker, you can INCREASE ISO and still cope with the high ISO noise. That will give you shorter exposure times and thus, even less trails. Stacking will not brighten your images but it will improve the signal-to-noise ratio and thus, all kinds of enhancements in the post-processing will be made easier.

Looking forward to seeing more results from you and your wonderfull southern skies!
02-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a cool shot Rob, very nicely done. As dark as our desert sky is, this is something I should try.
02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Congratulations.

My experience with the O-GPS1 calibration has been inconsistent. One shot gives pinpoint stars and then the next trails even when the camera isn't moved between shots. I've had success increasing ISO and shortening the exposure length. Noise can be dealt with during processing (and there's no objectionable noise in the sample you posted, anyway). Trailing stars are much more difficult to correct.

02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this a multiple exposure? Seems that some of the stars in Orion such as Betelgeuse and Saiph are doubled. Same for some of the stars in Lepus below. I agree that the accuracy of the O-GPS1 depends greatly on just how precise the Precise Calibration is. I always do the rough calibration first followed by the precise. Naturally, if your GPS constellation is not that great, the precision will be lower.

Jack
02-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Congratulations with your first O-GPS1 shot! I am VERY happy with my O-GPS1 and regularly uses it with lenses of 200mm to 350 mm focal length. But maximum exposure times stated in the Pentax literature are a bit "optimistic" and critically dependent upon how successful the precise calibration will be from time to time - at least as soon as you go into cropping and/or pixel-peeping.
Thanks! I did read that the exposure times were optimistic, so I reduced the exposure from what the camera suggested was possible. I calibrated the unit when I first powered it up and got a GPS lock, but when I calibrated it again at night, the calibration seemed to be too quick - it seemed to be accepting calibration even before I completed moving the camera in every axis.

QuoteQuote:
Actually, with stacking software such as Deep Sky Stacker, you can INCREASE ISO and still cope with the high ISO noise. That will give you shorter exposure times and thus, even less trails. Stacking will not brighten your images but it will improve the signal-to-noise ratio and thus, all kinds of enhancements in the post-processing will be made easier.
Given how much light I got out of the nebula at 400ISO I would like to see what I can do with that speed before I push it higher. With a darker sky and some stacking, I should be able to cut the exposure to say 30 seconds and get better results.

QuoteQuote:
Looking forward to seeing more results from you and your wonderfull southern skies!
Winter is coming - and the views of the galactic core are best then. However, I'm not sure how well the astrotracer deals with looking toward the pole. This image was taken with Orion almost directly overhead, and I don't think that helped with the GPS tracing. I'm hoping that the GPS will work with my mirror lens and allow some shots of smaller sky features like the jewelbox cluster. I also too a photo last night of Jupiter and it clearly showed three of the galilean satellites.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
That is a cool shot Rob, very nicely done. As dark as our desert sky is, this is something I should try.
Thanks Bob! You should definitely give it a go!

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My experience with the O-GPS1 calibration has been inconsistent. One shot gives pinpoint stars and then the next trails even when the camera isn't moved between shots. I've had success increasing ISO and shortening the exposure length. Noise can be dealt with during processing (and there's no objectionable noise in the sample you posted, anyway). Trailing stars are much more difficult to correct.
Interesting - I'll have to have a look at evidence of trails when I attempt to stack. I edited the curves quite a lot to eliminate the shadow data, most of which was atmospheric noise.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Is this a multiple exposure? Seems that some of the stars in Orion such as Betelgeuse and Saiph are doubled. Same for some of the stars in Lepus below. I agree that the accuracy of the O-GPS1 depends greatly on just how precise the Precise Calibration is. I always do the rough calibration first followed by the precise. Naturally, if your GPS constellation is not that great, the precision will be lower.
It's a single exposure, Jack. Betelgeuse isn't in this image. The bright star in the top left corner is Rigel, and it shows some extension due to the long exposure.
02-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice work, Astro stuff is way over my head but I love to look at the images others make. Science!

I'm going back to making B&W conversions of everyday objects now..........

02-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Nice work, Astro stuff is way over my head but I love to look at the images others make. Science!
Thanks! I was impressed that it was so easy to get a colourful image of something as dim as the Orion Nebula - although it's pretty bright as nebulae go.

QuoteQuote:
I'm going back to making B&W conversions of everyday objects now..........
Cool! I find it hard to do B&W well, because I find it difficult to imagine how scenes look without colour. Many things look great with colour but not in B&W and - more importantly - vice versa.
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My apologies. I should have realized this was southern hemisphere !!
02-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
My apologies. I should have realized this was southern hemisphere !!
No worries! The constellations look upside down to me when I visit the northern hemisphere too.
02-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've posted an Orion nebula shot to the Pentax UK forum.

Lake Tekapo conditions are excellent and having access to an equatorial mount was fantastic.
02-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I've posted an Orion nebula shot to the Pentax UK forum.
Lake Tekapo conditions are excellent and having access to an equatorial mount was fantastic.
Nice pics! Thanks for the link!
02-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nice pics!
Thanks!