Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Marsh Valley meandering stream....
Posted By: clarenceclose, 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM

This one attracts me any time of the year but from my drive on Saturday the simplicity of the snow with touches of subtle colors of earth, dried vegetation and rock with occasional splash of blue sky sucked me in and I just had to see if I could capture the essence of the place.

Your comments are appreciated..

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-01-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Views: 2,892
02-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots..

Clarence..

Looks like you had a nice drive!! I really like the 2nd and 3rd pics.. The color of the water and the snow is very good..

I am not found of the first one.... Not sure why... I guess it just doesn't have that snap appeal..

Thanks for sharin!! Kim
02-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Nice area Clarence. That second shot really is very good. I have to agree with Kim on the first one, somehow it just doesn't hold my attention although it's a good shot.
02-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Been Thinkin.....

You first shot has been on my mind Clarence.. I usually really like mountain and snow shots..

I think that if you were to crop the mountains out of it.... it would help... The dullness of the top of the pictures kind of takes away from the sharpness of the bottom... does that makes sense?

Perhaps I am just babbling... Can you tell I really want to like it and it bugs me that I dont..

Kim

02-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like them all Clarence. I think the small last shot has the strongest feel for me. But I don't know, I like the reflection in the water in the second shot and the depth of the first.
02-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
You first shot has been on my mind Clarence.. I usually really like mountain and snow shots..

I think that if you were to crop the mountains out of it.... it would help... The dullness of the top of the pictures kind of takes away from the sharpness of the bottom... does that makes sense?

Perhaps I am just babbling... Can you tell I really want to like it and it bugs me that I dont..

Kim
Kim,
No matter how much I 'willed' the mountains to be part of the shot, even isolating them in PS and bringing up the contrast, there was so much haze in the cold air from evaporation/condensation that I couldn't get the depth and clarity I really wanted. Thank you for being persistant and bringing that to my attention. For this shot, I agree that a more horizontal crop would probably be better, even to cutting out entirely the snow/lava rock at the back of the shot and just having the 'S' curve of the stream through the snow foreground.
02-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Scott, thank you for your observations.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I like them all Clarence. I think the small last shot has the strongest feel for me. But I don't know, I like the reflection in the water in the second shot and the depth of the first.
I believe it was quoted by a famous architect "God is in the details". I see that a lot in all types of photo shots and sometimes a detail shot of the subject actually conveys more the beauty and sense of place better than the overall shot. Thanks again for your inputs.

02-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice series of shots Clarence. I like the lines and reflections of the last two. I think it is the harshness of the ridge rather than anything else that causes the first picture to not work quite as well. I think it breaks up the unity of the picture, drawing the eye at the expense of the best features of the picture ie: the stream and mountains. Would WB have benefited from some adjustment? I'm not sure. I'm no expert re taking photos with snow in them; don't get much practice here in England.

Paul
02-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Kim,
No matter how much I 'willed' the mountains to be part of the shot, even isolating them in PS and bringing up the contrast, there was so much haze in the cold air from evaporation/condensation that I couldn't get the depth and clarity I really wanted. Thank you for being persistant and bringing that to my attention. For this shot, I agree that a more horizontal crop would probably be better, even to cutting out entirely the snow/lava rock at the back of the shot and just having the 'S' curve of the stream through the snow foreground.
i think the problem is the darkness of the lava across the center of the image. perhaps taken at a higher angle to reduce the impat of the rock would bring the background more to the point, although the lack of contrast would still be to little.

Marsh Valley was one of our favorite areas. always loved driving through, watching the harriers flying low over the landscape, the meandering stream, and such. having mt. bonneville as a backdrop didnt hurt either.

we spent a lot of time in Lava Hot Springs working with the historical society, and driving through to Salt Lake for shopping.

thanks again for the images.
02-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Nice series of shots Clarence. I like the lines and reflections of the last two. I think it is the harshness of the ridge rather than anything else that causes the first picture to not work quite as well. I think it breaks up the unity of the picture, drawing the eye at the expense of the best features of the picture ie: the stream and mountains. Would WB have benefited from some adjustment? I'm not sure. I'm no expert re taking photos with snow in them; don't get much practice here in England.

Paul
Paul,
I believe you are correct about the dark streak of the lava through the shot.
I could 'cut' out the middle and splice back in the mountains. That would be more the shot I was striving to capture. WB is tough in snow, too much and I get blowout but when I shot I did a +1 to +2 on the shots and took them in RAW. Could fiddle with it but then again it may not be worth the trouble on this shot. Thanks.
02-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by craftsmansky Quote
i think the problem is the darkness of the lava across the center of the image. perhaps taken at a higher angle to reduce the impat of the rock would bring the background more to the point, although the lack of contrast would still be to little.

Marsh Valley was one of our favorite areas. always loved driving through, watching the harriers flying low over the landscape, the meandering stream, and such. having mt. bonneville as a backdrop didnt hurt either.

we spent a lot of time in Lava Hot Springs working with the historical society, and driving through to Salt Lake for shopping.

thanks again for the images.
This stream is attractive year round bringing in all kinds of wildlife. Have wanted to drift it in a canoe in the summer and see if there are any German Brown trout lurking beneath the banks.