Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Woodland Sunrise
Lens: Tamron SP AF17 - 50 f/2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: The woods of South Algonquin, Ontario ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: tessfully, 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM

The sunrise was just cresting a distant ridge and filtering through a small winter woodland I was standing in. The tripod version of this shot is as boring as it gets, so I tried a couple of abstracts using camera motion. These were processed in Aperture3 using auto enhance, adjusting the levels, bumping the contrast and then cropping. The second image I added a filter I found on photobucket. The third image I cropped out the sun. I am very interested to hear what you think. Many Thanks!

filter added

Last edited by tessfully; 02-15-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Views: 1,022
02-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I much prefer the last image Tess.
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replying Bob... I too thought the last crop was the best as it removed the distracting sun....just an experiment in technique to beat the winter time blues.... thanks again
02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like to see the tripod version changed by using some of the K5's filters Tess. Just a thought.--charliezap

02-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No 3 does it for me Tess. I am sure it would work very well as a large print. probabably even significantly better than on a computer screen.
02-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like #3 best, as well. Even on my small laptop monitor, it's very striking.
02-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would have liked the first one the best apart from the highlight caused by the sun, .... #3 then
cheers.
02-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I might be on my own here, but I prefer the first. It's more reminiscent of the original scene (you know it's a sunset through trees without being told). I don't find the bright area a distraction, being filtered through the trees as it is. I like the skinnier format better as well, it works as an interesting foil to the many vertical lines. In all versions I like the smaller scraggly non-vertical branches in the shadows, enough to give the impression of trees but not enough to dominate the overall 'verticalness' of the shadows.

Very nice, and one of the best uses of the motion blur technique I've seen to create an impressionistic image I've seen in a long time.

02-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
jac
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm voting with Brian. But gorgeous images overal, Tess.
02-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Den
Veteran Member

I would have liked to see it not quite so "abstract". Maybe it's just my old brain, but it appears too confusing to me, but I like that you experimented for a different take.
02-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I much prefer the third! Well done!
02-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want to thank everyone so much for sharing your opinions on the different versions of the abstract. I am over the moon that a couple of you actually like number one as that is my favourite too. I loved it so much when I first got it home, I still do when I put it on the 27" monitor full screen ... but I started fretting about the sun so I cropped it to a 3x4... then I could not decide which one was better, or if either had any merit at all.

This type of shot drives me crazy because on the one hand it ignites my artistic passion but on the other it makes me doubt myself and I spend way to much time thinking about it ... I now have a growing portfolio entitled "In-security" for just such a photo ...

Many many thanks ... Pentax's Post your Photos is the greatest forum on the net
02-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like your abstracts. I find them all interesting and thought provoking. Thanks for sharing.
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love it when you experiment, Tess! These are full of creativity and imagination! I recall something kind of similar from you a while back and I said I wanted to try it. Never have. I really need to try it.

Just love the golden tones captured here!
02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I like the middle one the least Tess and third one is a touch better than the first one although I keep waffling about that. Today the third one will be my favorite but the first may move up tomorrow.