Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Latest Dancers
Lens: Sigma 70-200 HSM II Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Fullerton, California ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F3.2 
Posted By: crewl1, 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM

These are a few shots of dancers from the latest competition I provided sound for.
I tried to incorporate suggestions made on the last set by varying some of the angles and isolating the members of teams using a more shallow aperture.
Also was a little more aggressive in the PP this time than last, but not sure if I am 'there' yet.
Some jumps and such are in the 'K-5 for sports' thread or you can see the whole set here: Troy Red Hot Dance Challenge 2013 Photos by crewl1 | Photobucket





















Views: 728
02-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,451
Since it seems like you are looking for feedback, here goes.
1st image - I'd crop to be portrait orientation to focus on the dancer that is in focus and to get rid of the blown highlights on the right
2nd image - If you could have taken it two - three paces further left, it might have been a brilliant image. You did well to capture the action but there is too much distraction on the right.
3rd - very nice -too bad about the dancer on the left being out of the action
4th - nice capture of the intensity on their faces. All the others are good images and I don't have much else to add.
02-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,471
Larry, I think these are all great and changing the aperture settings really made a difference from the last series. I like them all, great job, fun to view.
02-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Since it seems like you are looking for feedback, here goes.
1st image - I'd crop to be portrait orientation to focus on the dancer that is in focus and to get rid of the blown highlights on the right
2nd image - If you could have taken it two - three paces further left, it might have been a brilliant image. You did well to capture the action but there is too much distraction on the right.
3rd - very nice -too bad about the dancer on the left being out of the action
4th - nice capture of the intensity on their faces. All the others are good images and I don't have much else to add.
Thanks MSL I definitely welcome tips and suggestions as I am very new to all this. I always learn from hearing from those with more experience and different perspective.

02-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Larry, I think these are all great and changing the aperture settings really made a difference from the last series. I like them all, great job, fun to view.
Thanks much Bob
02-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,451
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Thanks MSL I definitely welcome tips and suggestions as I am very new to all this. I always learn from hearing from those with more experience and different perspective.
My pleasure. I'm not sure how much time you put into post processing, but one thing you should perhaps think about a bit more is cropping. I already threw out 1 idea about the first image, but let me pick on a simpler one. The 7th image where you have the line of dancers in white - there are two composition problems. One is the background on the right where there are people milling about, which could have perhaps been solved by shooting from a different position, and the other is the garbage can on the left. Ideally it should have been removed, but as this is the image you have to work with, I would suggest you try cropping out as much as you can, without drastically changing the aspect ratio.

I also think your focus is off - to my eye it is the back wall that is in focus. I only spotted this when I went to look at the aperture you used, as this would have been a good case to try to shoot wide open. But for that to work you need to nail the focus spot on the girls and be on a parallel line to them.

Last edited by MSL; 02-18-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
02-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
My pleasure. I'm not sure how much time you put into post processing, but one thing you should perhaps think about a bit more is cropping. I already threw out 1 idea about the first image, but let me pick on a simpler one. The 7th image where you have the line of dancers in white - there are two composition problems. One is the background on the right where there are people milling about, which could have perhaps been solved by shooting from a different position, and the other is the garbage can on the left. Ideally it should have been removed, but as this is the image you have to work with, I would suggest you try cropping out as much as you can, without drastically changing the aspect ratio.

I also think your focus is off - to my eye it is the back wall that is in focus. I only spotted this when I went to look at the aperture you used, as this would have been a good case to try to shoot wide open. But for that to work you need to nail the focus spot on the girls and be on a parallel line to them.
Thanks for the tips. I do try to stick to the out of camera aspect ratio but as in that group shot it does not always work. I'm a bit afraid to use non standard crops because I am unfamiliar with them but I also did not like the trash can and the guy drinking the soda in the back.
That shot in particular was rushed and unplanned as there was a break in the action and I saw them waiting to go on so I asked them to get together for a shot. i didnt notice the can or the background until I uploaded at home. I definitely need to become more aware of the entire frame vs just my central subject.I hope I learn to do that as time goes on.

For that shot I had just switched to a Tamron 28-75 and didn't realize it was back focusing on me until a few shots later when I was reviewing. I have been using it on another body where it needs no adjustment
Good catch.
I'm hoping with time my ability to anticipate and adapt quickly will improve.
02-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,451
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That shot in particular was rushed and unplanned as there was a break in the action and I saw them waiting to go on so I asked them to get together for a shot. i didnt notice the can or the background until I uploaded at home. I definitely need to become more aware of the entire frame vs just my central subject.I hope I learn to do that as time goes on.
I assumed as much. While I don't think you need to spend hours working on the cropping before you upload the pictures, for an image like this one or the first one, if you did want to use it further it will be worth spending the time trying to crop out the worst elements. I'm not sure the lens was back focusing as much as the focus spot picked up the area just to the right or left of the center girl's head. Unfortunate though, and one of the things you need to learn about and too often the hard way. By default I often shoot in bursts of 3 images (either to bracket or just to take quick pictures) in the hopes of getting one where the focusing and the smiles correspond.

02-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
These are a few shots of dancers from the latest competition I provided sound for.
I tried to incorporate suggestions made on the last set by varying some of the angles and isolating the members of teams using a more shallow aperture.
Also was a little more aggressive in the PP this time than last, but not sure if I am 'there' yet.
Some jumps and such are in the 'K-5 for sports' thread or you can see the whole set here: Troy Red Hot Dance Challenge 2013 Photos by crewl1 | Photobucket

You took a picture of a man Larry? That's just not your style. These are all quite nice by the way. It's good to see you branching out into both sexes .
02-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
You took a picture of a man Larry? That's just not your style. These are all quite nice by the way. It's good to see you branching out into both sexes .
I don't know what i was thinking

02-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Original Poster
Here are some updated crops based on MSL's suggestions, they are heaps better in my opinion.
The girl on the floor unfortunately had her foot blocked by another dancer but removing the clutter on the right def helps.
Using a 8x10 crop format the group shot helps remove some of the distractions.
The portrait crop on the first shot is way more attractive.
Thanks MSL! This was a good learning experience.


02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,451
The first and third of the revised images now look really good - especially the dancer in green. Glad you took the time to experiment.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dancers, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Dancers vikingo Photo Critique 2 02-13-2013 10:44 PM
People Dancers crewl1 Post Your Photos! 17 01-18-2013 05:43 AM
People Tango dancers morgan1 Post Your Photos! 7 11-06-2011 04:50 PM
Sports Ballroom dancers demuire Post Your Photos! 12 05-13-2011 03:34 PM
Dancers! paden501 Post Your Photos! 31 06-12-2008 08:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top