Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Macro's in the Winter with a flash
Lens: Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Sweden ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: VisualDarkness, 02-20-2013, 06:57 PM

I went out shooting with a setup of Pentax K-5 + Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro + Sigma EF530 DG to try some nature macro with a flash (on the camera with the diffuser plate down) and I find the results quite nice.

This one looks a bit like a monster with it's tongue out, at least in my eyes!

Note the small flies that actually lives and moves due to the small extra heat from the single thriving leaf, despite the icy weather.

Views: 753
02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very good series of shots especially the first due to it's simplicity.
02-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
MSL
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice. I've been trying to do similar things, in part to test a macro teleconverter I picked up, but in a hurry because of not having much time to play. I may go give it another chance, once it warms up a bit.
02-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photo 1 and 7 are beautiful. I like photo #1 because, as mentioned previously, of it's simplicity. I was hoping to see a water droplet at the end of the sharp point. Photo 7 has nice contrast. A polarizer would reduce the shine on the pine needles and saturate the color even more. Just my 2 cents. I look forward to seeing more of your photos.

02-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you got excellent results with your flash. I particularly like the first one and "Serve Ice Cold."

Jer
02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Wonderful series of shots Andreas. I love the first one especially and "Serve Ice Cold." The first one keeps bringing me back to have another look.
02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Andreas these are very classy! I love them all... they speak to me as I have the same visual sensibilities... thank you for sharing
02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very good series of shots especially the first due to it's simplicity.
Thanks! Yeah, that is my gem to for the same reson.
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Very nice. I've been trying to do similar things, in part to test a macro teleconverter I picked up, but in a hurry because of not having much time to play. I may go give it another chance, once it warms up a bit.
Do it but bring bring a flash and/or tripod and it will be way more fun to use.
QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
Photo 1 and 7 are beautiful. I like photo #1 because, as mentioned previously, of it's simplicity. I was hoping to see a water droplet at the end of the sharp point. Photo 7 has nice contrast. A polarizer would reduce the shine on the pine needles and saturate the color even more. Just my 2 cents. I look forward to seeing more of your photos.
I agree on the polarizer though but I have misplaced my step-rings for my filters.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I think you got excellent results with your flash. I particularly like the first one and "Serve Ice Cold."

Jer
Thanks! It's so easy with the flash mounted on the camera but you still need good ambient light to get a really nice look to the pics.
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Wonderful series of shots Andreas. I love the first one especially and "Serve Ice Cold." The first one keeps bringing me back to have another look.
It seems like my taste is the same as most as these are my personal favorites too.
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Andreas these are very classy! I love them all... they speak to me as I have the same visual sensibilities... thank you for sharing
Classy? Thanks, it was the first time I got that compliment so it has to be good.

02-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are great! Especially Serve Ice Cold. What do you mean though by "diffuser plate down?"
02-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
These are great! Especially Serve Ice Cold. What do you mean though by "diffuser plate down?"
Sorry, I meant the built in flip-out wide panel.
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Andreas, the first shot is abolutely perfect!!
02-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Andreas, the first shot is abolutely perfect!!
Thank you!