Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
sango cem.
Lens: pentax DAL 18-55 Camera: k-x Photo Location: TN, USA ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: skidmarkroyalty, 02-22-2013, 11:36 PM

this was the first time using manual mode on my kx, i only went out for a trial and error type thing, wanted to see what the different setting did. i know the definitions for iso, aperture, and shutter speed, but i am still trying to get a feel for how they relate to one another. so basically i was just taking the same picture on different setting. this is the one i liked the best. and i definitely found it more appealing in B&W. input welcome. i am a complete novice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Views: 479
02-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I really like the composition. It's uncomfortable, a feeling backed up by the skew-wiff headstones. Edgy and yep black and white is great.

I know this isn't the critique section but you did ask for input. It's overexposed and soft overall. The softness is a bit of a mystery to me given your shutter speed and focal length. Maybe something to do with your in-camera JPG settings or RAW processing? A casualty of attempt to recover an overexposed image? (Lack of contrast also points at this.)

Good on you for experimenting with the settings. Everyone has their different ways of exploring things but if you're the type of person that likes to break things up like I am, try three experiments to understand aperture, ISO and exposure time

1) keep your overall exposure constant, if you like at what the auto mode suggests, and vary two settings at once so as to keep the same exposure. Using a mode other than M will automate this for you. For example, choose a fairly static scene like this (so shutter speed doesn't matter so much) and put it in Av mode. Then take a series of shots at different aperture settings, making sure your ISO is held constant (sorry don't know the Kx well so can't give specific instructions) and you get a range of exposures from wide open to at least f/16. Have a look how it changes what is in focus.

2) On the same scene, in Av, try it with the same aperture but try different ISO settings so you can see how ISO relates to noise.

3) Now find another scene where things are moving, put it Tv mode and shoot at a range of values, making sure you get at least from 1/250 down to 1/10. You might need to try a few different spots and different speed objects at different sizes in the frame - sometimes 1/2000 or 1"+ will be needed for the effect you're after. Have a look how the shutter speed changes how much motion blur there is.

On top of all that there's angle of the sun and clouding. Try different times and weather and see what happens .
02-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i plan on doing all of that! mostly the only thing holding me back is time. happened to get off early today and this cemetery is a short walk from my house so i went out to play. but i am usually at work till dark. and the days i'm off the weather sucks. just waiting for that perfect weather day to myself to go out and learn. for now i am just reading up. thanks so much for the input. guess i should have put this in the critique section.....
02-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because you requested comment, I offer this without any attempt to seem harsh:

For this type of photograph, where neither the camera nor any important part of the subject is moving, I see no need for such a fast shutter speed unless you want such a wide-open aperture. That aperture greatly limits depth of field.

Your choice of such a high ISO is interesting. Perhaps you were seeking a "grainy" look.

Best wishes, welcome to Pentaxforums and to the ranks of K-x owners, and I hope to see more of your photographs.

Last edited by smf; 02-23-2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: additional comment
02-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i wasnt going for anything here really. just playing with the manual mode. when i looked at the photo i liked it, and then i looked at the settings and realized that they all looked a bit high. i am gonna go back to the cemetery and take the same photo with more typical settings. and try and get a sense for the differences. guess what i am trying to say is the the high iso wasn't so much a "choice" i made. thanks for the input! hopefully i get to go out and pay again today, first decent weather day in for ever.
02-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. You will find lot of help here and I will look forward to seeing more of your work as you progress.
02-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I would bump up the contrast to get more blacks. I might rotate the image a little clockwise.
02-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i thought about it needing to be rotated a bit to make it look more level (is that right?), but the camera was perfectly leveled according to my tripod bubble level. so any of the crooked-lookingness is just a characteristic of the graveyard, which i rather like. i plan on downloading one of the recomended freeware PP programs tonight and maybe playing around, ill try a bit of rotation and see what happens.