Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Broken speaker
Posted By: thomasjmpark, 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM

Hi,
1 of my speakers decided to bite the dust yesterday, and so I thought I would take it apart to see whats inside. Surprising little as it turned out! I couldnt bring myself to destroy it with a hammer as the speaker has served me well for 5 years, so it was all carefully dismantled

I may take it down to the lake and give it a proper send off, on a burning boat or something Good news is 1 speaker still works and I have 2 shiny new ones arriving any day now

These are for anybody interested in whats inside a bi-amped, studio monitor speaker (as im sure you all really are)

P.S. Ive no idea what any of the components on the circuit board do, they are nice and shiny though
Views: 2,091
02-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

PICK UP THE HAMMER

you know you want to...

its stupid fun, like throwing watermelons of rooftops

edit: ohh and, SHARP PICTURES, very well done, is this with the 16-50* ??
02-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
PICK UP THE HAMMER
lol, it crossed my mind but just couldnt do it. We used to throw ecto-plasm goo on to peoples heads from a bridge, immense fun!

Thanks
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

All of Tom's neighbors are celebrating as they are blessed with a few days of relative quiet!

Cool pics Tom; lots of colourful thingamagiggers inside. I am sure the replacements will be bigger and louder!

Take some pics of the new ones, please.

02-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff, your pretty spot on with that Jeff. Ive had a couple of neighbours in the past year complain about various parties we've had Calmed down alot recently though

QuoteQuote:
Take some pics of the new ones, please.
Will do, and the new have alot more colourful shiny new thingamagiggers inside too
02-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Wohoo! Party at Tom's Friday night! (Put a rush on those speakers!)

02-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Judging from the pictures it looks ok, it's probably just a blown dc converter or something. This thing sells for £100 new, that's one more lens for you! Have you tried getting it fixed or selling it off ebay?

02-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A sad day, Thomas - may they RIP. I've got a pair of relatively new Monitor One's (Mk2) that I power with an Alesis Reference amp that's over 15 years old, which still serves my keyboards well. I enjoyed the pictures.

Jer
02-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Wohoo! Party at Tom's Friday night! (Put a rush on those speakers!)
lol Jeff, I like the smilies they put a big grin on my chops!

QuoteQuote:
it's probably just a blown dc converter or something
ricardobeat, thanks. To be honest I havnt a clue. I phoned my Alesis dealer and he suggested sending it to them for repair. It actually costs me less to buy new ones than it does to pay for parcel delivery and repair. Im trying to build up a little home studio at the moment but this photography lark has been draining my funds for getting keyboards and the like, not complaining though, at least im outdoors most of the time.

QuoteQuote:
A sad day, Thomas - may they RIP
Yes Jer it was sad indeed. Both speakers have been dragged up and down the country to various new abodes and parties. They were exceptionally good for the price I paid. I thought about going a bit more upmarket with the next pair but cant really justify the price for 'just messing around with music' speakers.

Thanks again
02-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You used to be able to replace a blown transistor or burnt resistor, but now they make you get a new board. Hard to fix that surface mount stuff. We're in a disposable world-cameras included. I've got a tube tester around here somewhere
02-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Thomas, that's too bad but I worked in a stereo shop for 9 years and often these issues are minot most of the time. You should check and see if there is an internal fuse that can be replaced. Also they can have capacitors that fail (those cylinder shaped black things all over the board). They are mechanical batteries that wear out over time. Cheap to get and replace. I bet for $50 you could have the speaker back and driving the neighbours nuts.
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote

ricardobeat, thanks. To be honest I havnt a clue. I phoned my Alesis dealer and he suggested sending it to them for repair. It actually costs me less to buy new ones than it does to pay for parcel delivery and repair. Im trying to build up a little home studio at the moment but this photography lark has been draining my funds for getting keyboards and the like, not complaining though, at least im outdoors most of the time.
That's a shame. I don't remember seeing any independent electronic repairs shop while I was living in the UK, do they exist? You could donate it to someone who might want to have a go at it.

Well.. maybe I'm just crying at because these things sell for US$500-700 USED around here
02-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I don't remember seeing any independent electronic repairs shop while I was living in the UK, do they exist?
They do but not there is nothing local to where i live. I had a look through our local yellow pages and there was nothing in it. Googled 'audio, speaker repair' and all that came up were London companies. I lve about as far as you can get from London in England and because the speaker is quite heavy it would cost a fortune send it by post!

Oh well, I did try. I think I will hang on to it though. I have a some friends interested in having a go at repairing it so may just pass it over to them
02-28-2008, 03:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes but Thomas they should be able to fix it from the board only if you want to get it up and running. The speakers and cabinet don't need to be sent in. The speakers are easy to test, Just replace the ones in the other working unit. So the board should be cheap to mail compared to the whole unit.
02-28-2008, 03:58 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Peter, in hindsight maybe thats what i should have done! Oh well, if the next pair go down the same road then ill definately do that.

Thanks for the info