Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Yup...
Posted By: gjtoth, 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM

...Cooper's hawk! This guy landed about ten feet from me. He stayed a LONG time. I got about 150 frames of him before he spotted a feral cat.

The meathooks

"I'M HUNGRY!"

"Hello, Mr. Fluffy!"

Views: 1,168
02-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Closed Account

Awesome! I love 6 & 7!
02-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
Awesome! I love 6 & 7!
Thanks very much. I appreciate your input!
02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those are gorgeous. Amazing that he/she would land so close to you. #7 looks like he/she might be sizing you up for a snack.

02-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing shots. This is why one should always pack a camera around. BTW, one of the best ways to distinguish between Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks is the leg size. Sharpies get their name from their ridiculously pencil-thin legs whereas Coops have much more robust stilts to sit on as seen here.

Jack
02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
This is good work, I love colours in the head and eye detailed shots, sharp too, well done.
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Amazing shots. This is why one should always pack a camera around. BTW, one of the best ways to distinguish between Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks is the leg size. Sharpies get their name from their ridiculously pencil-thin legs whereas Coops have much more robust stilts to sit on as seen here.

Jack
Another way is: the Cooper's have reddish eyes. The SSH has yellowish. Thanks for looking AND commenting. It's much appreciated.

02-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Fantastic shots. I've seen a couple redtail hawks around my place, but can't get a shot of one.
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
This is good work, I love colours in the head and eye detailed shots, sharp too, well done.
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Fantastic shots. I've seen a couple redtail hawks around my place, but can't get a shot of one.
Thanks very much! I really appreciate the C/C. It lets me know I'm on the right track.
02-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had one almost fly into me once. I walked out the back door, and it was already in a low flight to sweep the side yard where the feeders were. It was pretty cool. It was a big female that then landed in a tree in the front with no bird. I think the encounter messed up the hunt.
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I had one almost fly into me once. I walked out the back door, and it was already in a low flight to sweep the side yard where the feeders were. It was pretty cool. It was a big female that then landed in a tree in the front with no bird. I think the encounter messed up the hunt.
Yeah, that would do it. Easily distracted, I reckon.
02-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummm, no. In the accipiter family of hawks (Cooper's, Sharp-shinned, Goshawk, etc) and even in many buteos (soaring hawks such as the Red-tailed) young birds have yellow eyes which darken with age. In accipiters, adult eyes go blood red by two years of age and they go rich deep brown in most adult soaring hawks. So eye colour is age-related, not species-related.

Jack
02-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Ummm, no. In the accipiter family of hawks (Cooper's, Sharp-shinned, Goshawk, etc) and even in many buteos (soaring hawks such as the Red-tailed) young birds have yellow eyes which darken with age. In accipiters, adult eyes go blood red by two years of age and they go rich deep brown in most adult soaring hawks. So eye colour is age-related, not species-related.

Jack
Well, I was "taught" incorrectly. I stand corrected. Identifying Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks
02-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
Awesome! I love 6 & 7!
+1 great work..
02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
+1 great work..
Thanks!