Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
So what do you think?
Posted By: Peter Zack, 02-27-2008, 08:47 PM

Now that the last weekly is done and judged, I thought I'd post this for comments. The theme was "vanishing point" and So I went out on a long straight stretch of road around midnight and waited till a truck came by when there were no other cars etc.

I liked the result but then we do have a bias for our own stuff. I guess a little hard to critique but your impressions?

A larger size is available here:
http://islandviewsphoto.googlepages.com/TruckLights1.jpg/TruckLights1-full;init:.jpg
Views: 2,248
02-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Neato!

I like this one Peter, very cool and the lines totally draw you and still stays very abstract.
02-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Like the crispness of the colour and the perfect black
02-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Peter. Very nice shot. The fact that you 'pre visiualized' it makes it tops in my opinion. You were not lucky on this one... just GOOD!

Cheers.

-Mark

02-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great abstract. Bright, colorful, crisp.
I could see this one as a backdrop on an action oriented powerpoint presentation.
02-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What SWEngineer said.
I wondered how you did that Peter! Wonderful shot.
02-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Who would've thought such a simple subject would come out so well. Mark is right, you did very well to imagine that one, Peter. It looks great, and you've selected just the right aperture to get the road nicely lit.

02-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #8

five words: dark side of the moon hehe.

it's a cool photo. one that i think could go either way - either you love it or it does nothing for you.

in any case, good job conceptualizing this.
02-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well done. Effective with simple use of colour and lines. Really enjoying the overall feel from the shot
02-28-2008, 02:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A creative and interesting image Peter. Really like the contrast of colours against the black and their converging lines that draw the eye.

Paul
02-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

When I had first looked at it, it was the colours and sharpness of the lines that caught my eyes. It didn't go to infinity but that's besides the point.

Until you explained what it was, I had thought it was neon tubes and would have taken a loooong time to figure out the real subject.

Unfortunately, and please no offense meant, it didn't/doesn't take me anywhere. There is no focal point, in my opinion. It does however remind my of the Pink Floyd crystal.

Bottom line, it took imagination (which I ain't got) to grab this shot. I still can't figure-out how you got such an angle.
02-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Well thanks all. I guess I'm not totally crazy.
JC I understand what you mean and I wanted the lights to completely merge but couldn't get that right. Because by the time (leaving the shutter open that long) they did the colours were either washed out or the roadway was lit up too much. The angle was not too tough to figure out. I just waited for a truck to pass and quickly adjusted the 28-75, about at a 45 Degree angle to the road.

It was fin albeit cold!
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

I like the photograph a lot. I'll tell you though, there is something that I find 'out of balance' with it personally however... I believe it's the direction; and it may be limited to "me" so dicount this accordingly.

Being from western culture and brought up on "left to right", I wonder if a horizontal mirror to have the lines converge in the lower right, or both horizontal then vertical mirror to have the lines converge in the upper right, might not be more "Feng Shui" ...
02-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Well this is about the best I can do right now Steve. Enjoy:

The shot was taken this way because on the other side of the road was a huge sign with flashing lights. But I may fool around with the file and see what else I can come up with.
02-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I think the shot turned out great. I really like it, very cool. Exposure look right on, which could probably be difficult on this type of shot.