Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Love some advice on this logjam
Posted By: kipsta, 02-28-2008, 02:08 AM

Took this photo in Tasmania and just love the way the log looks like something different everytime. Unhappy with how the treebank on the left in the fog is so pale though, but i cant work out hot to darken it. I have Elements 6.

Need some opinions/suggestions on it.

Thanks heaps

Attached Images

Views: 1,274
02-28-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

looks fine to me as is! Very tranquil except I can see a harpooned whale in the log at the moment!
02-28-2008, 03:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The fog is nice. Like a fairy land
02-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could add a little contrast and adjust curves a bit to enhance the background but I don't think you should. This looks very good the way it is. Now there are a couple of things you need to look at, the horizon is crooked and you have dust on the sensor which needs cleaning.

02-28-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
First off, it is a very interesting picture. The tree bank on the left (IMHO) should remain hazy to add to the overall effect of the mist. I played with it a bit and first of all straightened it (just off by 2 degrees) and changed the tone, saturation and contrast in a few areas. I removed the dust blob, too. It's difficult working with a compressed jpg image - you get the idea what I am trying to accomplish. You will have better luck with a full size image.

It's a good picture, just needs a bit of time in PP.

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
02-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like your photo, Kip! And very nice work on it Jeffrey!
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #7

I like it just as is too. Looks like a mermaid laying down to me. Her head towards the open water. Her tail towards the shore. Half her body in the water, half out. You can even see her arm. Almost as if she is crossing them. The elbow points up a bit. I mean man, you can even see her long hair at the outer most left of the log. Kinda looks blue even!

02-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kipsta Quote
Took this photo in Tasmania and just love the way the log looks like something different everytime. Unhappy with how the treebank on the left in the fog is so pale though, but i cant work out hot to darken it. I have Elements 6.

Need some opinions/suggestions on it.

Thanks heaps
I prefer hazy, low contrast and minimal sharpening in a shot like this one. It does need straigthening - just like the somewhat cockeyed one I posted in a reply to another thread a few days ago. Sometimes I can look at an image several times before I realize it's off kilter.

Anyway, I like your hazy, relaxing picture.

Jer
02-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you're sure that's a log? right?

Did you try to poke it with a stick.

It really looks like a prehistoric animal of some type.

Although it's not your fault the tree sticking out of thebank on the right needs to go. It is a distraction, but otherwise a very nice shot.
02-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
Wow - you people are amazing !!!!
Thanks so much.
One question - forgive my noviceness but where was the original dust blob? I have had more looks and I still cant find it....
I completely fluked this one, just a qucik snap after a 3 hour hike uphill to a lake in the mountains, and wifey was hurrying me to keep going.
If you ever get a chance, Cradle Mountain in Tasmania is beyond superb for landscapes and general holidaying goodness. Photographers with greater skill than me will get life keepers.
Cheers,
Kip.
02-29-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photographers with greater skill than me will get life keepers.
I'd say that shot is a life keeper, Kip, what an impressive photograph. That would be one really tough subject to capture without bracketing lots and generally fiddling around, even a pro would need to post-process the shot off the camera. Jeffrey did a nice job with the enhancements; and the dust blob is directly above that last bulging bush on the RH bank, the one next to the tree that Lowell comments about (and I agree). Perhaps your monitor brightness is turned up a bit too much and it is difficult to see?
02-29-2008, 02:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hiya Steve,
Always good to speak to a fellow Aussie, specially a Melbournian.
Can you fill in the blank word below...
"See the ...... fly up, up to win the Premiership flag"
Are we still friends ?
Cheers mate
By the way, you were right about the monitor brightness, I never would have thought of that in a million years, thanks again and I agree that Jeff made it a lot stronger, amazing given that it was an uploaded compressed image. The guys on this forum are incredible.
Thanks for your very kind comments.
02-29-2008, 04:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

One question - forgive my noviceness but where was the original dust blob? I have had more looks and I still cant find it....Kip.
I lowered the brightness and increased the contrast to highlight it for you. My *ist DS was wicked bad for blobs and I am always scanning for them. It's not a huge deal, but it is noticeable.

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
02-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #14

Original Poster
Great job on the signage!
Especially love the sad face.
Cheers Scotty,