Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Vietnamese Engagement
Posted By: qdoan, 02-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Just thought I'd share some photos from an engagement I shot recently. Please feel free to comment and critique! Always looking for new ways to improve my work! These shots were taken with the DA*16-50 or the Sigma 70-200.. please don't mind the watermarks

Bride-to-be and her mother:

The cute little nephew:

The groom-to-be and his family's representatives for the procession:

Offering of the tea to the groom-to-be parents:

The newly engaged couple:

The couple with both sets of parents:

A candid of the couple:

A posed shot of the couple:

A candid of the bride-to-be and her little cousin:

Views: 2,243
02-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #2

Hey there,

Umm, bit of a newbie here, so I hope you don't mind me saying - the only "critique-able" thing that I really noticed was that on some of the outdoor shots, there's a bit of blowing out of the exposure, such as in the third one where the sidewalk, sky, and some of the men's foreheads are white. I know that bright sun is hard to shoot in! I've often way underexposed because of that. Otherwise I really like the shots! They have a natural look to them, and I think the black and white works well for the couple.

R.ticle One
02-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is very refreshing to see something that is still done "old school" and taken seriously. Thanks for sharing the photos.
02-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by R.ticle One Quote
Hey there,

Umm, bit of a newbie here, so I hope you don't mind me saying - the only "critique-able" thing that I really noticed was that on some of the outdoor shots, there's a bit of blowing out of the exposure, such as in the third one where the sidewalk, sky, and some of the men's foreheads are white. I know that bright sun is hard to shoot in! I've often way underexposed because of that. Otherwise I really like the shots! They have a natural look to them, and I think the black and white works well for the couple.

R.ticle One

Thanks for the feedback! The sun was hard to deal for those shots because the it was right around 11 am, and the sun cast a shadow small enough over the sidewalk where the procession was to start that it would light up their heads but their bodies were in the shadow (as you can see..). I tried using flash fill, but it didnt work too well, perhaps next time I'll shoot in RAW and underexpose by a few stops and correct it in PP.

Also thanks Mike!... It's sad to see some of our 'old school' tradtions fade away.. esp in a cross-culture union such as this.