Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Puerto Morelos - Pre Sunrise
Posted By: daacon, 03-06-2013, 04:56 AM

Our friends place in only a block off the beach, in Puerto Morelos (yep it's nice to have friends like that for sure). It was relatively easy to wake up before sunrise and get ready to see if mother nature was going to reward my efforts to be there.

For Christmas my wife bought me a Pentax O-GPS1. It's main characteristic is to provide GPS coordinates in the meta data. I have found this to work very well and in most cases and places I have used it , it calibrates very quickly. The other feature is it can act as an Astro Tracer. I had not tried this function until we went to Mexico.

While Puerto Morelos is a small fishing town, it is not a certified dark place. Still much better than Cancun or Play Del Carman would be. So far I find it really hit and miss , with way more misses. I think I need to get out to the mountains and give it a try.

What the asto tracer is suppose to do, is based on a calibrated time is to move the internal components of the camera to avoid the star trails. I have seen some incredible photo's of the night sky by others , so to date I am basing the high failure rate on the end user

I would try and arrive on the beach about an hour before sunrise. The conditions have to be right, clear skies , etc and there were at least two days like this. (where I made it out in time - some days too many late night margaritas )

Of the dozen or so attempts I tried over our time there, this is the only keeper. I hope to get a chance to go out and test again soon.

Specs : DA 12-24 / ISO 100 / 12mm / f4 / 180s taken at 05:23 am (about 30 mins before sunrise)

Click on image twice for larger view

Views: 1,805
03-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very Expressive Dave I truly enjoyed it TFS

cheers

03-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing photo, wonderful colors.
03-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stunning colours. An interesting gadget for sure. You should hours of fun mastering al the possibilities.
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
JMR
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Stunning colours. An interesting gadget for sure. You should hours of fun mastering al the possibilities.
Great shot, Dave. Worth all the effort!

JMR

03-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I like the shot Dave, never heard of a Pre Sunrise, doesn't sound good to me at all, looking forward to more views from the area. BTW, I do like a Tequila Sunrise at Sunset.
Retirement will do that for ya - search your memory banks gotta be a few in there

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Beautiful colors Dave! And I learned something new from Ash his comment about the motion blur in the foreground.
Thanks fries and yep Ash nailed it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
G'day Dave,
Thats really good, very different, very unique.
.....but mate...c'mon....whats with this "getting up an hour before sunrise" nonsense ??
Methinks its more likely your on your way home and stopping off to get these shots, and its the preceding margaritas that are the cause of the missed shots . .....hmmm?
Is that you taking a swim in that shot or some drug courier making a delivery ?
Cheers mate.
Thanks Grant think you can sell it for $1,000,000.00 ? Thats my goal one shot All you retiree's forgot what it's like to be in the rat race - I am soo looking forward to that ! Indeed a few mornings were post sunrise and the Tequila was still swirling inside the noggin. No that's not me , those are the heads of some drug lords whom apparently lost thier argument - Depsite a lot of the bad press Mexico gets (and there are certainly areas to avoid) we have never had and hopefully never will be hesitant to visit this little hamlet.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Excellento!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merci ooooooooooooooooo

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Breathtaking !! I do a Calibration followed by a Precise Calibration when using the Astrotracer. But still I find the suggested maximum exposure time given by the unit to be wildly optimistic in most cases. But it can give such stunning effects that it is worth the money to me.
Thanks I thought the same thing on a few attempts thanks for the advice.
03-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Also, the more field curvature there is in a lens, the less able the Astrotracer will be able to correct for the sides and corners of the image. Notice that the center stars are sharp in your photo but the edges are blurred.
More great advice - might justify some LBA

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Very Expressive Dave I truly enjoyed it TFS
cheers
Thanks Ivan glad you liked it.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Amazing photo, wonderful colors.
Apprecaite the kinds words Larry

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
THanks Bruce , this is almost the perfect time of year - 'dark time' is still relatively early , hope to get and experiment some more (in the height of summer 'dark time' is well after midnight .....)

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Great shot, Dave. Worth all the effort!
JMR
Thanks JMR appreciate you taking the time to comment.
03-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stunning capture.... love seeing such an array of stars.... dave m

03-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hate this shot because I was not there with you!!!! Thought we were friends!!!!! Nicely done Davey and yea at 180 sec any wind will play a factor. JIM
03-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #24

¿Donde esta Puerto Morelos?
03-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Our friends place in only a block off the beach, in Puerto Morelos (yep it's nice to have friends like that for sure). It was relatively easy to wake up before sunrise and get ready to see if mother nature was going to reward my efforts to be there.

For Christmas my wife bought me a Pentax O-GPS1. It's main characteristic is to provide GPS coordinates in the meta data. I have found this to work very well and in most cases and places I have used it , it calibrates very quickly. The other feature is it can act as an Astro Tracer. I had not tried this function until we went to Mexico.

While Puerto Morelos is a small fishing town, it is not a certified dark place. Still much better than Cancun or Play Del Carman would be. So far I find it really hit and miss , with way more misses. I think I need to get out to the mountains and give it a try.

What the asto tracer is suppose to do, is based on a calibrated time is to move the internal components of the camera to avoid the star trails. I have seen some incredible photo's of the night sky by others , so to date I am basing the high failure rate on the end user

I would try and arrive on the beach about an hour before sunrise. The conditions have to be right, clear skies , etc and there were at least two days like this. (where I made it out in time - some days too many late night margaritas )

Of the dozen or so attempts I tried over our time there, this is the only keeper. I hope to get a chance to go out and test again soon.

Specs : DA 12-24 / ISO 100 / 12mm / f4 / 180s taken at 05:23 am (about 30 mins before sunrise)

Click on image twice for larger view
Gorgeous image.
03-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
stunning capture.... love seeing such an array of stars.... dave m
Thanks Dave I totally agree.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Hate this shot because I was not there with you!!!! Thought we were friends!!!!! Nicely done Davey and yea at 180 sec any wind will play a factor. JIM
haha thanks Jimbo - it's one of my favorite places to visit , especially in February

QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
¿Donde esta Puerto Morelos?
It's a little drinking town with a fishing problem - it's just off the main highway almost in the middle between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
Gorgeous image.
Much appreciated Oscar