Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Anniversary (Part 7)
Posted By: bluespearbone, 02-28-2008, 06:33 PM

These must surely be the last of the Venetian shots that can possibly be squeezed for keepers.
First another couple from Murano island, attempting to capture some of the history and archutecture.

Not knowledgable but this dwelling seemed gothic in both style and age. Was hesitant about walking under it, and when did can remember silently urging the pillars to hold out while thinking something was about to slump on top of me.

Kit Lens at 31mm, Camera Mode Auto.
ISO 200: 1/250 sec @ f8
Attachment 8976

A Byzantine church should have been subject enough, except with a goofer behind the lens wanting to include a belfry in the shot. Got back as far as I could on a bridge but still had to put the lens at its shortest length. 'Leaning' was given as the definitive.

Kit Lens at 18mm, Camera Mode Auto.
ISO 200: 1/350 sec @ f11
PP: Some arms tangling stuff.

Basilica dei Santi Maria e Donato
Attachment 8977

Back to Venice for this last one, which was initially dismissed but now sought to get to keeper. Have done a begineers play with PP curves but it seems, to me anyway, to lack that something - can't figure out what. What do you folk think?

ISO 200: 1/125 sec @ f8
PP: Curves tweak, curves tweak, curves tweak...

Grand Canal
Attachment 8978

OK. I lied. After messing about with curves again, am thinking this one too is salvaged at least for your consideration. (Yes, I know...sorry, sorry...)

ISO 200: 1/250 sec @f11

Rialto Bridge
Attachment 8979

As always, feedback, advice, c+c invited and welcome.

Links to previous in series:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/21681-first-anniversary-part-6-a.html, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/21610-first-anniversary-part-5-a.html, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/21385-first-anniversary-part-4-a.html, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/21378-first-anniversary-part-3-a.html, First Anniversary (Part 2), First Anniversary

Last edited by bluespearbone; 03-12-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Views: 1,784
02-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a shot of the Grand Canal taken from just about the same spot. I cropped mine a bit, played around in PS a little to give it a slight watercolor look and then printed it on watercolor paper. Something you might try if you are printing.
Nice group of pictures.
03-01-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series of images John, nicely composed. You have some difficult high contrast images there, the kind I seem to keep shooting. I think you have got the best out of them. Any higher exposure would have blown the highlights. I really like 3 in particular.

Paul
03-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for thje feedback, sorry for the late reply - have been out of town for a few days.

Thanks for the tip Peter, once filtered this series of shots will go to print so will keep your success in mind.
Paul, I guess these came out last because have found them very difficult to fix to the point where they may be kept. Some of them will need further work, but will have try scrambling up the curve a little more before

03-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think those are keepers. I love the Sky in #2 and water in #3. Well composed. Thanks for the tour !