Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Suspended in Ice
Posted By: tessfully, 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Winter is starting to take its toll on new things to shoot... so time to play and experiment. This is a lot of fun and I can see myself trying it again very soon, but with a better idea of what to do. My favourites ...

Seed pods and pebble -- ISO 100 F/16 1/13

Pebble -- ISO 100 f/16 1/6

Fern Fronds --- ISO 100 f/16 0.4s

Black Eyed Susan and a fern frond -- ISO 100 F/22 1/6

The pebble again...it is actually a red rock with black lines from Temagami Ontario

thanks for having a look
Views: 1,694
03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Lovely series, thanks for posting. One day I'll explore Canada although I'm not sure about all those minus signs stuck in front of your temperatures. Ice down here is a peculiar and temporary state of water we find useful for keeping beer cold.
Thanks for the nice comments southlander! You should come to Canada late summer or fall. Many spectacular sights without the freeze up!

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
What are you not happy with? The way the ice is forming/looking like ... or the way objects gets frozen in the ice?
What I did wrong with the first try was I used a circular bowl. Some of the items floated and the curvature caused depth of field headaches so I ended up using the macro to isolate frames I liked. So last night I used a lasagna tray. I made my "still life" in the tray and added a small amount of water to freeze the items in place, which worked perfectly. I then added about another one and half inches of water. The ice froze in a really neat way over most of my still life, except the central piece, whereby it froze as a white heaped blob. I currently have it outside. It is just above zero today. I am thinking if the top portion melted and I used backlighting I might still have something cool to work with.

03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
What I did wrong with the first try was I used a circular bowl. Some of the items floated and the curvature caused depth of field headaches so I ended up using the macro to isolate frames I liked. So last night I used a lasagna tray. I made my "still life" in the tray and added a small amount of water to freeze the items in place, which worked perfectly. I then added about another one and half inches of water. The ice froze in a really neat way over most of my still life, except the central piece, whereby it froze as a white heaped blob. I currently have it outside. It is just above zero today. I am thinking if the top portion melted and I used backlighting I might still have something cool to work with.
What kind of water are you using?
Not sure if you know, but to get ice as clear as possible and avoid those "white clouds", is best to use either filtered or distilled water. You have to boil the water (some are even boiling the water twice). Let the water cool down a little and while still warm, put it in your container with your still life composition and then in the freezer.

Also, as an idea you might want to look at semitransparent containers (white ones) where you can add a light under it and diffuse it - might give some interesting effects?
Hmmm ... I gotta try it too now ...
03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha! Thanks for the tips! I used well water, so I will double boil and try again. I am hooked.
03-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating.... great eye for detail!

03-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Fascinating.... great eye for detail!
Thanks Jerry! The cool thing about this is you are never sure what you have till you put it on the monitor.

one more note: do not use glass dishes
03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Enjoyed these Tess, in particular the 4th one. I like how you think..."out of the box", which gives some very different shots and provides new and interesting ideas.
BTW- I want to thank you for your work with Norm, I am enjoying his work more all the time. Your help has worked wonders for his shooting, and he is even posting some of those great Doggy shots I love so much!

Regards!
03-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
I really like the last one, it looks like it's falling into a puddle. The second last one is outstanding too!

03-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very good series Tess! I've tried this kind of experiment only once and the results were not even close to the quality you have achieved, Thanks for pposting!
03-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Enjoyed these Tess, in particular the 4th one. I like how you think..."out of the box", which gives some very different shots and provides new and interesting ideas.
BTW- I want to thank you for your work with Norm, I am enjoying his work more all the time. Your help has worked wonders for his shooting, and he is even posting some of those great Doggy shots I love so much!

Regards!
Thanks Rupert!

QuoteOriginally posted by Stoogie Quote
I really like the last one, it looks like it's falling into a puddle. The second last one is outstanding too!
Thank you Stoogie... these were my first tries. I don't know if I got any better at it... they are all so subjective.

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Very good series Tess! I've tried this kind of experiment only once and the results were not even close to the quality you have achieved, Thanks for pposting!
Thank you for commenting volley. It is always a surprise. I found little corners in the frozen world that were photographable... that was how it worked.