Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Beach and stuff ..
Lens: DA* 16-50 / DA 10-17 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Puerto Morelos, Mexico 
Posted By: daacon, 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM

One of the best beaches I have ever seen is in Puerto Morelos. There is a natural reef about 1/2 mile out that goes from Cancun to Belize (I believe other than Great Barrier Reef in Australia , it is the second biggest reef in the word). The reef really calms the ocean down so the warm waters have very few waves. Unlike if you have ever been to Cancun some of those ocean waves can hit 7 or 8 feet - which is fun as well - but you'd better be a good swimmer.

Anyway here are few shots from a lovely day

Click on image twice for larger view

They rake the beach almost every morning

Not the beach just a nice boat (and you see the white water where the reef is)

Our first look at the leaning lighthouse of Puerto Morelos. It was hit by the hurricane Beulah in 1967, that made it lean and it has survived several others since. The base is very deep - no real danger of it actually falling over.

Fishye look at the lovely water and blue skies ....

Sometimes it's an up hill battle

Stay thirsty my friends ! I didn't

We brought our ball gloves for a little early spring training

The Caribbean side has beautiful water but you can get some rain. We were eating out at a beach resturant and got hit with this. We tried to wait it out, there was no way so we walked home. That was some of the hardest rainfall I have ever walked in, but it was a balmy 26 degrees or so , nice and warm. Weather sealed K5 and DA* 16-50 survived as well.

Views: 757
03-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series, looks like a great time. The fisheye shot is really striking
03-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Beautiful place to get away from the cold.
03-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely beaches at Puerto Morales. We prefer it to Playa del Carmen or Tulum these days. And Cancun is flat out.

You did a nice job of capturing the beautiful transparency of the waters. And I like the two lighthouses together too. Very nice.

03-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

We are only across the Gulf Dave.Wave and I'll see if I can seeyou.--charliezap
03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fisheye and uphill battle are my favorites. That first one is nice also. Actually, they all make me extremely jealous. You definitely were living the life of Riley.
03-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Living the life of the Rich and Famous, very enjoyable shots to enjoy, I wish I was you.

03-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keeping a good eye out for interesting shots.
03-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Nice series, looks like a great time. The fisheye shot is really striking
Thanks Na Horuk it's a favorite lens of mine and if you are careful with the orientation it can act as a really wide angle.

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
Beautiful place to get away from the cold.
Thanks jnguyen - it was reason #1 to go , breaks the winter up rather nicely.

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Lovely beaches at Puerto Morales. We prefer it to Playa del Carmen or Tulum these days. And Cancun is flat out.
You did a nice job of capturing the beautiful transparency of the waters. And I like the two lighthouses together too. Very nice.
Thanks yucantanPentax - could not agree more. Both Cancun and Playa are tourist traps and getting worse every year. Although if you want an all inclusive there are some nice ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
We are only across the Gulf Dave.Wave and I'll see if I can seeyou.--charliezap
Charlie can you see more now ??? Unfortunatley I have been home a couple of weeks (3rd March) - on the bright side it was the longest we have ever gotten away for (19 days)
03-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
The fisheye and uphill battle are my favorites. That first one is nice also. Actually, they all make me extremely jealous. You definitely were living the life of Riley.
Thanks Susan , it's a fun and versatile lens for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Living the life of the Rich and Famous, very enjoyable shots to enjoy, I wish I was you.
haha we try and 'rent' that lifestyle once a year - I could get use to it , but reality hits us every time.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Keeping a good eye out for interesting shots.
Thanks EM these were just proof I was there as the main camera guy our crew did make an attempt to shoot me once in a while.