Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Talk Derby To Me
Lens: 50-135, 50/1.4 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Manchester 
Posted By: Mareket, 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM

Some shots from the first derby game I've ever seen. It's epic! Also if anyone has any tips on how to get the noise to chill out on the K-5 at ISO3200/6400 that'd be great. Tried exposing to the right but there's only so far you can push the shutter speed in such low light before derby girls just turn into colourful blurs.

K-5 autofocus worked better than I expected it to, but it was pretty awful with the 50/1.4 which also suffered from that dreaded halation thing again as I forgot the hood.

The photos are here (excuse the shoddy quality, Facebook has worked it's lovely magic): Furious Evolution of Checquered Rainbows | Facebook
Views: 815
03-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great set, the girls look fast.
There is no getting around the noise, you just have to fix it in post.
I just took some shots in bad gym lighting myself and used LR4 to sort of fix it.
If you plan to shoot in these conditions a lot you may want to consider the Topaz denoise software, I've seen some good cleanup done with it.
03-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Now I will have to go and Google this to find out what it is all about. It looks like there is some type of scoring and an umpire/referee.
03-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Roller Derby I remember those for way back. LR for noise reduction has a prety good tool and there are several good plugin's (Topaz has Denoise and there are some Nik plugins) I find it is important to do the NR first before you make any other adjustments. Nice series.

03-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers guys. Yeah, Derby is coming back in a big way it seems. Also, just noticed I posted these under abstract, any way I can change that?
03-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Also, just noticed I posted these under abstract, any way I can change that?
Try Edit Message -> Go Advanced -> then scroll down to where the title field is. You may be able to change it there (I assume there is a menu for selecting the section).