Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
My story of being less of a man ...
Posted By: daacon, 03-14-2013, 05:54 AM

So I am not looking for accolades or being arrogant or asking for money (although if you feel the need to donate .....pm me ! )I posted this for a couple of reasons.

1 - You have to own your accomplishments like this and be proud of them. This did not come easy as there are no real shortcuts. It took me a long time to be proud of this - but damnit I am.

2 - I am 54 years old and did it. In fact I am still doing it. I had bad knees, sore shoulder , back issues and a dozen other excuses. My knees and shoulder feel oh so much better now. Think you are too old or too out of shape to start ? I did at one time - 5 months later I now realize I am not.

While these pictures are 3 years apart , I posted them as they were taken in more or less the exact same spot, exactly 3 years apart (Feb 14th). I don't have a lot of pictures of myself and the before is a pretty good resemblance on how I looked in August 2012.

My current journey did not start 3 years ago - it was more like 5 month ago. I am working out 4 nights a week at a local boot camp. It has been and continues to be damn hard both physically and mentally. I much prefer morning workouts , but the timing was just not right , so Monday - Thursday I drag my ass there.

Statistics ? The before I was 51, 6'2" and approximately 260lbs (I am a guy , I was weighed at birth, stepped on the scale 10 times since ) The after I am 54 (damnit !!) almost 6'2" (damnit !!!) and approximately 225 lbs. I am still reshaping my body - no big weight losses now ( I may be 220 today) but definitely reshaping my body as I may have to go for my second round of new clothes .....

So if you are thinking about making a change I say just do it, the hardest part is to to start. It won't be easy, but the results (I was going to say end results but this sort of thing is never over really) are so worth it. Even the simple things like squatting down, getting out of a chair, everything just seems easier.

Fat (no so much phat) Dave

Less fat (more phat) Dave

...and oh yeah same bathing suit ha ! I should also mention my wife got me motivated. She has been going to the same bootcamp (morning sessions) for about 2 years. Yes that is a 6 pack on her, something I will always have to go to the liquor store to get ha! So glad she got me to go.
Views: 2,863
03-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good for you, Buddy! And good for your wife for getting you motivated and moving. You guys look like one hot couple .

Jer
03-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You two are so hot. Congrats to both of you. Just goes to prove that it is never too late.
03-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely transformation!!!

03-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well done , your an inspiration to us all.
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Losing weight is a great thing, as long as you can still hit the ball as far. Just make sure you're keeping your priorities straight.
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a very inspirational thread buddy, I wonder if the magic "jams" have something to do with your success. Keep up the good work, you guys look great.

03-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome Dave, I hope you aren't only doing bottle lifts with that right arm, make sure you use the left too. If you drink to much using the same arm you'll start going in circles, I think that's just because too much muscle weight in one arm. So you may have to increase those lifts to catch up.

Great job buddy!
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats - not easy to do let alone share with all like that - so well done and keep it up!
03-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm so glad this was not about, you know..."the operation".
03-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice work. People say the decision to start is the hardest thing...but we all know the hardest thing is all the work outs!
03-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great work, losing that much weight makes a big difference in enjoying life and just moving around, bet you are loving it! Somehow I managed to lose 22kg (40 pounds or so I think) in the past 6 months so I think I know how you feel Congrats!
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Great thread, we are of the same age, I'm slightly taller at 6'4", but your away ahead of me on the journey.

Weight loss program started, 308lbs down to 259lbs over 9 month period and still continuing, basically down to portion control i.e. putting less over my throat. The six pack I'm afraid is still down at the shop, waiting for me to collect it.

Gym attendance is a bit erratic due to various health issues just now. But your so right it can be done and yes I do feel better for doing it.
03-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks MATE !!

Your a big bloody help....with you know who looking over my shoulder at your "transformation". (Anne says good job Karen!)

Payback is headed your way buddy.!
03-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm so glad this was not about, you know..."the operation".
I'll do that one personally for him, and with a blunt knife, for the pain he is about to cause me.