Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10,005 Miles - A Major Milestone
Lens: DA 35 Limited Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Our Drive Way 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-14-2013, 08:22 PM

Today, I passed 10,000 miles (16,100 Km) on my trusty, 4-year-old Trek bicycle; that's about the same mileage I put on each of my cars in a year (we travel by big silver birds). To celebrate the event, I shot a pic of the odometer as soon as I jumped (well sorta jumped) off the bike. Later in the day, I asked my wife to fire off my K-5 and shoot a picture of me holding my helmet in front of a car that has yet to reach 350 miles; I gave her a daunting exposure challenge, since the late afternoon sun was streaming into our garage. Even so, she did a great job; note the bright spot on my forehead, indicating a cranial cavity not presently occupied.

Jer

Views: 1,494
03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10,000 miles, powered by Bud Light.
03-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Wow Jer, this is a disappointment, I'm sorry to say. Fast cars, boats, cold beer......all things that can make you feel close to a guy and look up to him for his lifestyle of leisure. Then you see something like this, and you begin to worry that Mrs Rupert might come home with a bike and actually want you to use it. Bikes, road maps, and camera manuals are things I find alien to my lifestyle. You look to be in great health, can't you just put that bike away and find a good comfy easy chair to take your mind off of exercise when you get the urge? It might not make you feel better, but it sure would help me!
I suppose congratulations are in order....so congratulations on your mile marker, you have done great, now it's time to relax the rest of your life!

Regards!
03-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a great accomplishment and I love the fact I don't think I have seen a picture of you without a bud light in your hand! What's with the sweater ? Was it only 80 that day haha.

03-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I just had to look one more time....a man that has everything and chooses to exercise. Such a letdown!

Dave, you don't do that sort of thing, do you? I can't handle to much more image shattering!

Regards!
03-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I salute you for your accumulation of mileage on your bicycle. 10,000 miles + is an accomplishment and goes a long way to maintaining fitness.
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

congrats Jer-here's wishing you many more healthful miles.--capn zap

03-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
10,000 miles, powered by Bud Light.
And Cheerios - thanks for looking, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Wow Jer, this is a disappointment, I'm sorry to say. Fast cars, boats, cold beer......all things that can make you feel close to a guy and look up to him for his lifestyle of leisure. Then you see something like this, and you begin to worry that Mrs Rupert might come home with a bike and actually want you to use it. Bikes, road maps, and camera manuals are things I find alien to my lifestyle. You look to be in great health, can't you just put that bike away and find a good comfy easy chair to take your mind off of exercise when you get the urge? It might not make you feel better, but it sure would help me!
I suppose congratulations are in order....so congratulations on your mile marker, you have done great, now it's time to relax the rest of your life!

Regards!
I'm so sorry to disappoint you, my friend, but my Type A personality prohibits the rational lifestyle you have so wisely adopted. I just enjoy moving machines - gasoline, wind or pumping legs, I dig it all. However, I'm certainly with you on camera manuals, a class of turgid tomes I find tedious in the extreme.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
. . . . . . . . . I don't think I have seen a picture of you without a bud light in your hand! . . . . . . . . . .
Don't leave home without it . Thanks for commenting, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I salute you for your accumulation of mileage on your bicycle. 10,000 miles + is an accomplishment and goes a long way to maintaining fitness.
Thanks very much - it's done wonders for my blood pressure, and I ride fast enough (with helmet) to give it some zing.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
congrats Jer-here's wishing you many more healthful miles.--capn zap
Thank you, Capn. I hope you're enjoying your vacation.

Jer
03-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats on your achievement! That's a lot of clicks. I like cycling too. Maybe I need some of that fuel you are holding in your hand as well! Like the car by the way!
03-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Congrats on your achievement! That's a lot of clicks. I like cycling too. Maybe I need some of that fuel you are holding in your hand as well! Like the car by the way!
Thanks much. My wife and I both enjoy cycling, and we live in an area of mild pseudo winters, so it's something we can do year around. After two weeks of ownership, I'm enjoying the car, as well.

Jer
03-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I thought at first that your wife had put 10000 miles on you. Glad to hear it was you and the bike. Do you have a butt left? That is usually the first thing to disappear after riding on those skinny little seats.
03-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done, Jer. That's a pretty good average annual distance.

Richard.
03-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I thought at first that your wife had put 10000 miles on you. Glad to hear it was you and the bike. Do you have a butt left? That is usually the first thing to disappear after riding on those skinny little seats.
By golly, Susan, I looked in the mirror and - lo and behold - I am buttless . Perhaps, that's why people keep telling me: "Butt out."

After 45 years of marriage, Connie has put far more than 10,000 miles on me - I'm way out of warranty.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Well done, Jer. That's a pretty good average annual distance.

Richard.
Hey thanks, Richard. I notice the bike in your avatar, along with a white vehicle - I'm thinking you need a new avatar with something in red.

Jer
03-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great milestone Jer and would not have known who the picture was of with out the Bud Light. Cheers bud. JIM
03-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey thanks, Richard. I notice the bike in your avatar, along with a white vehicle - I'm thinking you need a new avatar with something in red.

Jer
Decisions ... decisions ....

Richard.