Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first sunset!
Lens: Pentax DA 18-55mm Camera: Pentax k5 Photo Location: Tucson, Arizona ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: mayday295, 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Ok so it is not my first sunset, but it is my first attempt at photographing one! This is also my first attempt at HDR photography, so please give me your feedback and let me know what you think!

I live in Tucson Arizona, and there are some amazing sunsets here so I hope to be taking many more throughout the summer!

Attached Images

Views: 830
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at the pic and knew it was Tucson even before I read your message. I know that skyline! (One year at U of A in 83-84 - yep, I'm getting on a bit!) I don't mind flare in a sunset shot. The patch on the right doesn't distract. Keep going with the sunsets. And try your hand at lightning when those desert storms turn up in summer.
03-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a pretty good result for a first up effort.
These are always tricky, and what works one day....ain't necessarily going to work the next time. Experimentation is the key, and stick around for 30 minutes or so after sunset, it can get interesting.
Cheers
Grant
03-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like Grant said, after the sunset, as you know living in Tucson, that is when you get the color. I don't see the advantage of having the road in the photo, but maybe you wanted that to add interest. Keep it up, Arizona has some beautiful sunsets for sure.

03-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The HDR works good for the hills , not so much for that big ball of fire - there is not much dynamic in there - it's just really bright ha! As mentioned above the hour after the sun goes down (or comes up) can make for some interesting scenes as well. Keep at it.
03-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are no sunsets like those in Tucson. Good job for a first try. Keep at it.
03-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Yes I did want the road in the scene to add more dynamics to the photograph. I did stick around after this one but I did not get the results I was looking for with the color I wanted. Although the day after when I had forgot my camera at home is when we had a gorgeous sunset!

@daacon I know what you mean! I wasn't quite as satisfied with how the sun came out, but somehow I also really like it.

I will take these tips in mind an try my hand next time, practice makes perfect, and I know I will have plenty of practice!!