Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Witches' Trees
Lens: DA 10-17 FE Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Wildlife Refuge 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Yesterday, I used my fish eye lens for the first time in months (years?), so I decided to take it over to a nearby wildlife refuge/woods to see how I might put this interesting lens to work. I was in a B&W frame of mind, so I decide to explore the depiction of trees as threatening creatures using colorless, pseudo silhouettes (yeah, I know, but I'm retired and have time on my hands ).

Jer








Views: 2,691
03-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Indiana PA USA
Posts: 1,346
Very nice. These were shot in the daylight, right? How bright was the day, and how underexposed did you shoot? Pretty nice exposures - creepy.
How do you like the DA 10-17? I've been thinking about it as my next acquisition.
03-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Timothy Burton would be proud to use these on a number of his films (Can you see the headless horseman zooming past these trees ?)
03-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,183
Number 1 and 4 are nice, but 2 and 3 are outstanding, really great what you did with just a tree silhouette. Really captured a mood.

03-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,471
#3 blows me away, I think it is haunted. RUN.........
03-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vermont
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 55
Yes, #3 is my favorite too, that is one creepy tree!!
03-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,205
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
Very nice. These were shot in the daylight, right? How bright was the day, and how underexposed did you shoot? Pretty nice exposures - creepy.
How do you like the DA 10-17? I've been thinking about it as my next acquisition.
Thanks. And, yeah, these shots were taken during late afternoon on a "partly sunny" day. I find exposure to be tricky with a FE, and often use the spot meter to find the light level I want to key off of. It's still pretty empirical - and I use exposure comp as needed, but there's no fixed strategy.

Frankly, I always say I really dig my FE, but actually use it very little. Still, I think I'd buy it again.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Timothy Burton would be proud to use these on a number of his films (Can you see the headless horseman zooming past these trees ?)
Thanks, Dave - that's just the "image" I wanted to transmit.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Number 1 and 4 are nice, but 2 and 3 are outstanding, really great what you did with just a tree silhouette. Really captured a mood.
Thanks very much, Na Horuk. I think number 3 is the real keeper and I almost posted it alone. However, I'm often surprised at what does and doesn't interest forum members, so I went with all four - after all, it didn't cost extra .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
#3 blows me away, I think it is haunted. RUN.........
Hey thanks, brother Bob - I appreciate the kind words, as always.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pasojoy Quote
Yes, #3 is my favorite too, that is one creepy tree!!
Thank you.

Jer
03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,848
#3 for me too Jer. The whole series was well done. B&W really suits these.

03-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member
fotogaffer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 716
I really enjoyed these shots too. The perspective and black and white treatment really suit the material well. Now, I'm really thinking I "need" that 10-17 fisheye!
03-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,205
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
#3 for me too Jer. The whole series was well done. B&W really suits these.
Thanks much, Susan. It's good to get back the funky B&W stuff I like to shoot.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
I really enjoyed these shots too. The perspective and black and white treatment really suit the material well. Now, I'm really thinking I "need" that 10-17 fisheye!
I appreciate the nice words, and I'm thinking you need that FE too .

Jer
03-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 5,207
Nice theme. Pics are very good and I especially like # 2....this one in particular has a 'Grimm' TV show feel about it.
03-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Forum Member
captureit's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 98
I couldn't help but take a look at your Ichabod Crane, Sleepy Hollow trees - nice detail, looks great in B&W. I've got one of those Sleepy Hollow trees I've tried once to get and need to go back and try again.
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,205
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice theme. Pics are very good and I especially like # 2....this one in particular has a 'Grimm' TV show feel about it.
I'm not familiar with the TV show, but thanks for the kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by captureit Quote
I couldn't help but take a look at your Ichabod Crane, Sleepy Hollow trees - nice detail, looks great in B&W. I've got one of those Sleepy Hollow trees I've tried once to get and need to go back and try again.
Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to seeing a shot of one your "Sleepy Hollow" trees.

Jer
03-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #14
Forum Member
captureit's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 98
Thank you for your encouragement and inspiration!
03-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,430
fine compositions/captures jer..... b+w suits this subject perfectly... love those gnarled limbs reaching and clawing at the heavens above...
geez... i sound like a Poe story.... dave m
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, lens, photo, time, trees
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thematic Trees SpecialK Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 3221 3 Days Ago 03:52 PM
Black & White Trees stephp Post Your Photos! 2 11-02-2012 01:37 PM
Landscape British Trees Rense Post Your Photos! 13 01-02-2012 06:39 PM
Nature Dead Trees DanielT74 Post Your Photos! 4 11-19-2011 04:11 AM
Nature Trees lroberg Post Your Photos! 6 06-14-2011 11:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top