Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hollywood Roosevelt
Camera: X-5 Photo Location: Hollywood Boulevard 
Posted By: T.P.S., 03-20-2013, 11:33 PM

3 exposure B&W HDR image.

I didn't like the color version, so I'm making my first attempt at B&W HDR. I think it's a bit overprocessed, but I still like it.

Attached Images

Views: 831
03-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like it too Although a little heavy on the haloes around the traffic light. Very gritty though, as fits a picture of Hollywood, especially of such an old subject.
My daughter just got a job across the street from this building.
03-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I like it too Although a little heavy on the haloes around the traffic light. Very gritty though, as fits a picture of Hollywood, especially of such an old subject.
My daughter just got a job across the street from this building.
Thank you!

The Roosevelt is my wife's favorite building on Hollywood Blvd, so this was taken mainly for her. I'm still relatively new to HDR processing - I have a lot to learn, but I enjoy experimenting. I hope your daughter likes crowds!
03-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with Jerry - also the sky does not look that good - but the building is spot on.

03-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #5

Out of interest, what was the motivation for going HDR? Could that side be caught in full sun at a different time of day?
03-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
SJM
Pentaxian

What a great old building.
03-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That place seriously creeps me out and FYI, I don't creep easily. I can't explain it but I just cannot go in there. I've been there a couple of times on business. Each time I went to walk down past it, to see the sights, but I've never managed to actually walk into that hotel. There's a dark vibe to that place that hits you from way down the street. It's fascinating to look at and yes, I took pics too, but it's also very eerie to me. I read somewhere later that it was supposedly very haunted. I kind of believe it with that place. It's just weird, feels ultra strange, like it's the hotel in the Shining or something...
03-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I would agree with Jerry - also the sky does not look that good - but the building is spot on.
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. In my opinion, it's the only way to get better.

03-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
Out of interest, what was the motivation for going HDR? Could that side be caught in full sun at a different time of day?
I wanted to try HDR because I was shooting straight into the sun on a very, very bright day. I was limited on angles because I was short on time due to it being taken on our last day of vacation and we were rushing through Hollywood. I'm not sure if the sun would shine directly on that side of the building. This was taken from the Northeast corner, so with the sun going east to west, I really don't think it would at this time of year. I live in Wisconsin, so I won't get another chance to retry this shot for quite some time.