Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More Voigtlander Macros (with Extension Tubes!)
Posted By: J.Scott, 03-02-2008, 03:31 PM

I read a post on the forum about extension tubes and it planted a tiny seed of thought. I have a set of Kenko extension tubes, so why not connect them up the the K10D with the 125 mm Voigtlander macro lens?

I think this may be good for taking pics of bugs this spring and summer but the focusing is extremely critical and tedious to adjust.

Dreadfully bored here!

First is almost half of a Canadian dime depicting the famous Blue Nose Schooner. The lack of detail is not due to the IQ of the lens but the condition of the coin.

Next are 31 tiny pegs. This is a corner of an AMD Duron CPU I yanked off an old motherboard. The little gold pins are less than 1/8 inch in length and I think there are a few hundred on the surface of the CPU.

Views: 1,408
03-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok - ok - so the pictures are somewhat less than stunning, but 48 views and not even "I think this stinks!" is a bit disconcerting.

How many people knew there was a thin copper-like ring on the dime? Huh - how many?

How 'bout I warp the colour a bit on the second one? Anything yet?

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
03-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Your right.. it stinks better ship your voigtlander off to me!

Seriously, I love the shot of the pins! Though I think the original one is a bit overexposed... how close was the minimum focusing distance?

I have a set of tubes and I think I'll be using them on my Sigma 105/2.8...(a much better lens than your voigtlander, so if you want to trade, no problem! I love crappy lenses! LOL)
03-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Your right.. it stinks better ship your voigtlander off to me!

Seriously, I love the shot of the pins! Though I think the original one is a bit overexposed... how close was the minimum focusing distance?

I have a set of tubes and I think I'll be using them on my Sigma 105/2.8...(a much better lens than your voigtlander, so if you want to trade, no problem! I love crappy lenses! LOL)
It was a pretty heavy setup for my cheap-ass tripod and the focus kept drifting a tiny bit. All three rings plus the Voigtlander fully extended - from the front of the lens was about 8" to the surface of the CPU.

Sorry - no swapsies ! I'll live with the imperfect Voigtlander.

03-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting shots especially the first, though I think they are both a little overexposed. I can see the potential of the extension tubes. Had a set for my old Practika (if that's how it was spelt) more years ago than I care to remember. Found them good but not as good as bellows. Parted with all that stuff some years ago. Perhaps I could have used it with an adaptor. Anyhow perhaps I'll invest in the Kenko set that you have.

Paul
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Perhaps they are overexposed, however, I had a very bright LED light spotlighting each item and it seems to have produced quite a bit of shine off the dime. Ok - too shiny - I'm learning!
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Inactive Account

That lens combo seems to work nicely Jeff. The dime is very good, nice detail, dont know how big they are in real life but looks to be the size of our 5 pences.

Im expecting there will be some fat hairy spiders macro posts come spring

Been thinking about extention tubes for a while, next pay day me thinks..

03-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shot of the dime ! I don't even need my reading glasses for that one !
03-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
It was a pretty heavy setup for my cheap-ass tripod and the focus kept drifting a tiny bit. All three rings plus the Voigtlander fully extended - from the front of the lens was about 8" to the surface of the CPU.

Sorry - no swapsies ! I'll live with the imperfect Voigtlander.
I know what you mean! I once used my CPC2 70-200 macro attached to a Pentax auto bellows with an extension tube (just one, 16mm), on my K10D with grip on an el cheapo tripod! Focusing and composition was a pain! In fact, it was easier when I handheld the whole thing! with flash of course...

8"? That's a nice comfortable working distance for such high magnifications. Cool!

Was just kidding about the swap thing you'd be real stupid to accept such a trade! (while I'd be real lucky )

Post more using your setup! Would love to see how insect shots would turn out...
03-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
That lens combo seems to work nicely Jeff. The dime is very good, nice detail, dont know how big they are in real life but looks to be the size of our 5 pences.

Im expecting there will be some fat hairy spiders macro posts come spring

Been thinking about extention tubes for a while, next pay day me thinks..
Thanks Tom; the dime is about 3/4" in diameter - our smallest coin.

I'll be looking into the bloodshot eyeballs of a fat hairy spider!