Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Life in 8mm
Lens: Sigma 8-16 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada ISO: 400 
Posted By: normhead, 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM

My Sigma 8-16 finally arrived today. So I spent most of my daily dog walk shooting at 8mm, although a few might be 12.

Starting out.

Head of the trail

Dogs in the woods.

Tripper pauses for a rest.

A clearing in the woods.

Views: 848
03-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks great Norm!
03-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Looks great Norm!
Thanks frank, I can hardly wait to get up on some ALgonquin ridges with it.
03-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow great shots. Suddenly I feel the need to save a few pennies.

03-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Den
Veteran Member

Enjoy the lens. I've had one for a few months now and for large expanse views it is great. Interior real estate shots too. The 1st and last shot seem to be the same image, was that the intention?
03-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice shots

Interesting images. I have the Pentax 10-17 mm, and wouldn't give it up now that I am beginning to realize its potential.What I have found particularly interesting is that you can shoot, even at widest, and still get fairly normal looking images. What I means is that they are still fisheye, but not obviously so to the viewer. One trick is to keep vertical lines right in the middle of the viewer, and no vertical lines near the outside of the viewer. When this is true, especially for landscapes, you can get views that are quite distorted in reality, but not in appearance, because they look the way the landscape COULD have looked.

Last edited by ivanvernon; 03-23-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: premature posting
03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Wow great shots. Suddenly I feel the need to save a few pennies.
I was feeling the same things for months before I finally got it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Enjoy the lens. I've had one for a few months now and for large expanse views it is great. Interior real estate shots too. The 1st and last shot seem to be the same image, was that the intention?
No, it's the new photo bucket, I find it so hard to keep track of what I'm doing. I'll have to go back and fix that. I odn't know why people just can't leave stuff that works alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Interesting images. I have the Pentax 10-17 mm, and wouldn't give it up now that I am beginning to realize its potential.What I have found particularly interesting is that you can shoot, even at widest, and still get fairly normal looking images. What I means is that they are still fisheye, but not obviously so to the viewer. One trick is to keep vertical lines right in the middle of the viewer, and no vertical lines near the outside of the viewer. When this is true, especially for landscapes, you can get views that are quite distorted in reality, but not in appearance, because they look the way the landscape COULD have looked.
We also have the 10-17, and, there are places where I love it, but we also have pictures we took last summer, taken with the fisheye, where the fisheye distortion made the images unusable... so I've been lusting after this lens ever since it came out. There are a number of place I have on my list to go to to reshoot using this lens. It has better control of CA and purple fringing, and much less distortion...

When you get a shot with the 10-17 it can be something amazing... when it doesn't work out and you misss a shot because you didn't have something like the 8-16, all you can do is stare at your computer and wish you had a rectilinear lens.

03-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this looks to be a great lens for my landscape photos, thanks for the thread Norm.
03-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Some very nice photos.

The second photo ...with the trees turning inward...seems to have a similar...but opposite effect that a zoom fisheye would have. A distortion inwards...rather than a distortion outwards. I'm assuming this photo was taken at an 8, maybe a 9 mm setting...just my guess though.

I mention zoom fisheye as the zoom fisheye gives one plenty of neat angles and varying degrees of distortion through it's variety of perspectives (at 17mm...almost regular wide angle)...that a prime fisheye does not. Although I find using my Pentax 10-17 at 10 to say 12mm...requires lot's of up and down angles to get the shot I'm looking for....by managing the distortion I want or don't want....at least to a certain degree.

I've never used an extreme wide angle (ie; 8mm) and at 8mm your Sigma must be about as wide an angle as they come.

I think this 8-16mm will open up all sort of creative opportunities for you as a photographer. I would say there is some great potential with this lens.

Looking forward to seeing more photo's with this 8-16.
03-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
this looks to be a great lens for my landscape photos, thanks for the thread Norm.
I like it....

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some very nice photos.

The second photo ...with the trees turning inward...seems to have a similar...but opposite effect that a zoom fisheye would have. A distortion inwards...rather than a distortion outwards. I'm assuming this photo was taken at an 8, maybe a 9 mm setting...just my guess though.
I think this 8-16mm will open up all sort of creative opportunities for you as a photographer. I would say there is some great potential with this lens.

Looking forward to seeing more photo's with this 8-16.
What the rectilinear lens does is it keeps the lines straight, a fisheye, the trees would be bent like bows and arrows. The trees pointing in is the effect of shooting with the film plane not being parallel to the trees. To get them straight up and down, you need a tilt shift, so you can keep the film plane parallel to the trees.
03-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice Norm. I'm guessing you will be busy with the new lens. Can't wait to see more from you and the lens.
03-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like you've already got it down, Norm. I especially like the one of Tripper taking a rest.

Jer
03-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Wow, that's what I call a wide angle lens, I assume it behaves almost like a fixed focus lens with a massive dof, enjoy it.
03-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice Norm. I'm guessing you will be busy with the new lens. Can't wait to see more from you and the lens.
It's nto an everyday kind of lens. It's more a have to ahve it when you have to have it kind of lens. Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Looks like you've already got it down, Norm. I especially like the one of Tripper taking a rest.

Jer
It's hard to take bad pictures when you've got dogs. Thanks Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Wow, that's what I call a wide angle lens, I assume it behaves almost like a fixed focus lens with a massive dof, enjoy it.
RIght there K= you don't buy a lens this wide for it narrow DoF
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ohhh 8mm is gonna be fun for sure Norm.