Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Deer at night
Lens: Tokina SD 400mm f5.6 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Aurora CO ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Just1MoreDave, 03-24-2013, 09:20 PM

There's a "greenway" behind our house that deer use as a corridor. I saw a group near sunset and figured they would sleep nearby, so I went out to look for them. The only lighting here is from distant street lights, closest is maybe 150-200 feet away. A light snow was falling. It was too dark for live view or metering. I kept adjusting focus in small increments, sort of focus-bracketing. Metering was similar, adjust in M mode until the histogram looks good. The deer do a good job of staying perfectly still. I converted to black and white because the streetlight light was ugly. I don't think it's perfect but it is really good for those conditions.
Views: 633
03-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done considering the conditions. Love the snow on their noses.
03-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
You did well with this, not easy subject matter at all, conditions not helping either.