Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Death by Gull
Posted By: palmor, 03-02-2008, 08:07 PM

I can't ever remember seeing a Gull dive into the water and come up with such a huge fish, normally I see them closer to shore picking up clams or the such.

This is another one of those instances where I don't see any PF on my calibrated monitor but on another un-calibrated one I see it pretty badly (maybe my un-calibrated monitor is just REALLY bad). Let me know if you notice any, thanks!

This is a pretty heavy crop, maybe ~50%
Pentax K10D ,Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X
1/500s f/8.0 at 600.0mm iso200 (with Kenko 1.5xTC)

Views: 1,625
03-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

hah. Great capture. Good timing!
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great capture. Nice colours, contrast and exposure.

Paul
03-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, he got a big one. I've been on the water for a lot of years and never seen a gull grab a fish this size.

Jer

03-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

He didn't fly away with that size catfish did he? That is bigger than some that I have caught when out fishing. jim
03-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmc7104 Quote
He didn't fly away with that size catfish did he? That is bigger than some that I have caught when out fishing. jim
Yup he flew away with it, pretty easily to. Like all of you I've never seen a gull catch a fish like that, it actually dove head first and grabbed it, I was so stunned watching it that I didn't swing my camera around fast enough to catch it in the act (I was at the spot waiting for eagles).

Thanks for the comments everyone!

John

Oh does anyone else see any PF? I hope it is just the crappy monitor on my wifes macbook, everything on that monitor looks over exposed and just awful no matter how much tweaking I do
03-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Oh does anyone else see any PF? I hope it is just the crappy monitor on my wifes macbook, everything on that monitor looks over exposed and just awful no matter how much tweaking I do
Hi John, sorry but I struggle with some of the abbreviations used on the forum. Took me ages to work out what LBA was. As much as I try I can't work out what PF is. Please can you enlighten me.

Paul

03-04-2008, 02:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's funny you post that image John because I was taking a few pictures from my house two days ago watching a Gull do the exact same thing. Pretty neat to watch. It was just paddling along and suddenly would jump out of the water waving its' wings a few times to get about 3 feet in the air and nose dive back into the ocean. It did that about 5 times, sadly I didn't switch to my 200mm in time - it definitely didn't catch anything that large though.
03-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Hi John, sorry but I struggle with some of the abbreviations used on the forum. Took me ages to work out what LBA was. As much as I try I can't work out what PF is. Please can you enlighten me.

Paul
Sorry Paul, PF=purple fringing. On the macbook monitor I see it around the birds head and eyes.

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
It's funny you post that image John because I was taking a few pictures from my house two days ago watching a Gull do the exact same thing. Pretty neat to watch. It was just paddling along and suddenly would jump out of the water waving its' wings a few times to get about 3 feet in the air and nose dive back into the ocean. It did that about 5 times, sadly I didn't switch to my 200mm in time - it definitely didn't catch anything that large though.
Yup, that is exactly what it did. It was as you said really neat to watch
03-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The PF springs into my eyes, too.
But I'm obsessed with it.

There are several possibilities:

- the PF is due to over exposure
- the PF is due to a slight misfocussing
- the PF is due to the converter

Perhaps a combination of all.

Nice photo nevertheless!