Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
One of the 7 new Wonders of the World Chitzen Itza
Posted By: daacon, 03-02-2008, 08:43 PM

As some of you may know I was recently in Mexico - I have over 1,500 photo's to go through so I will be posting a few over the next few weeks ! . The trip was a blast. Here are a few of a day we spent in Chitzen Itza. It is one of the new 7 wonders of the world. I have over 500 shots of this place alone !

This is The Pyramid of Kukulkán. For a scale it is 24 meters (79 feet) high. We had a guide for the first hour. The history is amazing. It is clear a large Mayan community thrived here between around 700AD and 900AD

It was an impressive site - I will post some others of the area as time allows. Hope you enjoy!

Front Side (restored)
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/2306692618_1664fc21b6_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Side View
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2119/2305892711_7e910ef0ed_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Back Side
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/2305893029_4cd23f6b35_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

91 Very skinny very steep steps. The front side was restored
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/2305892409_c6672e2c43_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

When the Sun sets you can see shadows of a snakes body comming down the side of the steps to the snake head below - these Mayans were genious!
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2394/2306691980_50ae2d412b_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

Closer vew of the Snake Head and how skinny these steps really are !
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/2305891703_d04efbf08d_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]

The Top
[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2305891035_725a6acff0_b.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]
Views: 2,802
03-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great pics Daacon, this is going to be cool seeing these:-).
03-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All good shots dave. 3 is excellent. Looking forward to more as you go through them all.
03-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great series of interesting images Dave. Nice seeing the structure from so many different perspectives; gives a real feel for the place. Don't think I'd feel safe climbing those steps though.

Paul

03-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Great shots, looks like a real interesting trip. Looking forward to seeing more.
03-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Great pics Daacon, this is going to be cool seeing these:-).
Thanks Eaglerapids - being off work for two weeks it may take some time but I will post some more of the area for sure. It was a historic place for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
All good shots dave. 3 is excellent. Looking forward to more as you go through them all.
Thanks Peter - this place made it worth while lugging all that gear , but man it was hot , dry and hot hot hot.... (I miss that!)

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great series of interesting images Dave. Nice seeing the structure from so many different perspectives; gives a real feel for the place. Don't think I'd feel safe climbing those steps though.
Paul
Thanks Paul - this was the first year you could not climb up there. You have to go up sideways if you have bigger than a size 4 shoe (it also shows respect for the gods apparently). There was a nasty accident last year so they shut down access to the stairs.

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Great shots, looks like a real interesting trip. Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks Scott - only about 450 more of that place to go through !
03-03-2008, 05:49 AM   #7
Not Registered

I am amazed that you could take pictures without people crossing in front of your camera . Hope you could also visit some other ruins. Yucatan peninsule is an absolutely marvel. If you could make it to Coba or Uxmal dont hesitate to post the images, those are 2 of my most favorite archaelogical sites.

03-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice series Dave . I can't wait to see more
03-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
Bud
Veteran Member

Nice series, Dave.

I f you ever get a chance to go there in March during the Spring Equinox, it's quite an event. I think I heard an estimate of 200,000 people when we were there.

From a piece of literature...
"The pyramid is designed and oriented to use the equinox sunlight to form the body of the snake god Kukulkan in the shape of 7 triangles that are approximately 37 yards long (a really BIG snake), by reflecting sunlight and shadows on the western side of the northern staircase. At the bottom of this staircase only (there are three others on the pyramid), rest carved stone heads of Kukulcan." It was amazing standing there in the crowd, waiting for the shadows to complete the full figure of Kukulkan and to then hear and feel the response of the mostly Mayan gathering... great "once in a lifetime" event.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Bud
03-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I am amazed that you could take pictures without people crossing in front of your camera . Hope you could also visit some other ruins. Yucatan peninsule is an absolutely marvel. If you could make it to Coba or Uxmal dont hesitate to post the images, those are 2 of my most favorite archaelogical sites.
Thanks Gruso - the trick is to get up from your beach side resort at a ridiculous early hour and drive 2.5 hours inland to beat all the tour buses - As I post other shots of the area you will notice a dramatic increase in the amount of people. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to get back there next year and will look into your suggestions.

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Nice series Dave . I can't wait to see more
Thanks dantuyhoa - hopefully soon !

QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
Nice series, Dave.
I f you ever get a chance to go there in March during the Spring Equinox, it's quite an event. I think I heard an estimate of 200,000 people when we were there.
<snip>Bud
Thanks Bud - I have seen pictures of the time you spoke of in the gift shop, and the guide metioned these dates - and yep there are people as far as the eye can see!
03-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

wow! nice set! makes me want to go visit the place myself! post more!
03-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for showing up this history Dave, you've captured it perfectly.

#2 s my personal favorite.
03-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
wow! nice set! makes me want to go visit the place myself! post more!
Thanks Leadbelly I will as soon as I can it is a site for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Thanks for showing up this history Dave, you've captured it perfectly.

#2 s my personal favorite.
Thanks Stu
03-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Too bad they closed it! I was there in 1989 and we were allowed to climb the pyramid and actually go down into the heart of it. It was amazing.

It does look like they're doing some nice restoration on it, though.
03-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice photos.
I see they've put a fence around the central temple.

I like that part of Mexico very much, people are friendly.
Also more to the south and inland you can find a lot of Maya ruins.

If you ever go back to Yucatan, a few hours driving from Chitzen Itza there is Uxmal. Try to visit Uxmal as well and some other old complexes along the Puuc route.
Uxmal gives me the creeps. You can still feel the horror at the pyramid of the wizard.
f you also visit the other complexes of the Puuc route, like Mayapan, you may find yourself wandering through a deserted city all by yourself in the jungle. We even saw a jaguar once.
No tourists, sometimes a lot of undiscovered detail.

Uxmal:
Attachment 9135

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 06-18-2009 at 08:23 AM.