Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12hrs of Sebring
Lens: Tamron 70-200 & Pentax 55-300 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Sebring, FL 
Posted By: bullitt_60, 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Here are a few shots I took at the 12hrs of Sebring last week. Interestingly, there are not many motorsports shooters on this forum, so if you don't like these you won't like most of my shots. I am still working through the set and will post a few more upon completion. This was my first serious outing with the K-5 and it took quite a while to get it down. Thanks for looking!

Corvette C6.Rs

Couple of GTC Porsches. Pushing the K-5 past its limits, but I found it focuses very well.

Audi R18

TRG Porches (this is with the kit lens)

Practicing driver changes

Views: 772
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A very nice series! Pentax is not known for its sports capabilities.
03-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for some reason I really like #1 but they are so fast it is hard to get a crisp shot of one, all great though, I bet you had a great time there.
03-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a great series - a real treat this early morning; I love all the Porsche pics I can get. The shot of the Audi is outstanding.

Jer

03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! More to come, I have over a thousand shot to cull so it is taking some time. Bob - the first shot looks a little sharper on the original image but must be compressed a little when I uploaded.
03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a "Motorsport Man" myself.
No 3 Audi R18.....AWESOME SHOT...well done.
Cheers, Pickles.
03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a motorsports photographer, but I am a road racing fan. I appreciate the pics! I attended a few ALMS races about a dozen years ago, but took pics with a Pentax SLR, and never scanned them. There is usually a pro photographer at the local track events I attend, but they always have either Canon or Nikon dSLRs. Even the other club members who take/ post a lot of pics all seem to use Canon.
03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
GTC Porsches
Just look at the brakes glowing, in the second shot, really like that one.

03-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I'm a "Motorsport Man" myself.
No 3 Audi R18.....AWESOME SHOT...well done.
Cheers, Pickles.
Thanks! I expect to see some V8 shots this season!

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTalon Quote
I'm not a motorsports photographer, but I am a road racing fan. I appreciate the pics! I attended a few ALMS races about a dozen years ago, but took pics with a Pentax SLR, and never scanned them. There is usually a pro photographer at the local track events I attend, but they always have either Canon or Nikon dSLRs. Even the other club members who take/ post a lot of pics all seem to use Canon.
Make sure you attend the Baltimore race this year if you can. It will probably be the last year for that event and definitely the last year for the fast P-cars. Even if there are only 3-4 of them left, they are still wonderful to see. If you have any pics of the Panoz LMP-01, those would definitely be worth scanning. 99% of the pros I see use Canon. I saw two guys with Nikon at Sebring. As far as enthusiast are concerned, there has been a shift from Nikon to Canon over the past few years.

I saw one Pentaxian there. I was shooting at the hairpin during the golden hour and started talking to the fellow next to me. About 15mins into our conversation I realized he had the same camera and lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Just look at the brakes glowing, in the second shot, really like that one.
Thanks! That one looks much less noisy on my screen but it was really just to show off the capabilities of the K-5. I didn't know if it would work, but I focused on the headlights and it nailed it about 50% of the time.
03-26-2013, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
What'chu lookin at
Loyal Site Supporter

Was wondering if I would see any coverage of this here. Thanks!
03-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Was wondering if I would see any coverage of this here. Thanks!
No problem and welcome to the forum! Stay tuned, they are getting better...
03-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll check for Panoz pics. I was at Petit LeMans one year, the DC Grand Prix and Laguna Seca the next year, and then Infineon a year or two later. I was helping out a Speedvision WC team, so most of the pics I took were of those cars/ races. When the ALSM cars were out on the track we were usually busy in the paddock. But I think I have a couple night-time pics from Petit LeMans.
03-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You got some great shots - while Pentax may not be the fastest focusing - operator makes up for it.
03-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
Here are a few shots I took at the 12hrs of Sebring last week. Interestingly, there are not many motorsports shooters on this forum, so if you don't like these you won't like most of my shots. I am still working through the set and will post a few more upon completion. This was my first serious outing with the K-5 and it took quite a while to get it down. Thanks for looking!

Corvette C6.Rs

Couple of GTC Porsches. Pushing the K-5 past its limits, but I found it focuses very well.

Audi R18

TRG Porches (this is with the kit lens)

Practicing driver changes

The night shot of the Porsche is pretty cool, with the rotors glowing. And the Audi on track is perfect!

Nice work!