Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I found Spring in the Mountains ....
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Banff, Alberta, Canada 
Posted By: daacon, 03-26-2013, 03:59 AM

We decided on Wednesday last week, enough , it was time for a weekend in the Mountains. It was interesting to watch the difference in the amount of snow with each passing hour down the highway. (Banff is about 4 hours from where I live - 3 hours south and 1 hour west).

We had the good fortune to get a few hours last Saturday to take some snaps of one of my favorite places. There was very little snow on the ground and you could feel the warmth of the Sun (you have to experience a Canadian or at least a cold winter to understand that statement - eg: The sun was more than a ball of light in the sky )

Here a few shots. I really wish I had of thought to take a video. I don't know how many of you have heard the 'ice melt/crack' on a frozen lake. It's a pretty eerie sound and man you could sure hear it the morning we were there. I usually forget about the video capabilities of the K5.

Here are some truly blue skies , white peaks , frost and a thinning layer of ice on the water.

Click on image twice for larger view

Views: 854
03-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ummm something went wrong with the uplload - appears to be a distinct issue with the sky in first and last - might have been a greasy CPL it's there on the original as I check however not as pronounced ....anyone got a full proof way to clean those darn CPL's ?
03-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are eye-opening (I just got up) landscapes, bud. I can smell the clean air. I've seen that effect in dark blue skies on some of my photos - don't know why, maybe because I don't know what a CPL is.

Jer
03-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Dave, you’ve found spring there; we are yet to find it here in the Netherlands
by the way...Nice clicks

03-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

Hi Dave,

I am just speechless!

Thanks for sharing such great shots with us!!!!!!!
03-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Love this location Dave and spring is the best time. Everything looks so fresh. Well done. JIMBO
03-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #7

Wow, very nice shots. I like saturated colors that are not overprocessed and are well balanced. As someone said, I can also smell clean cold air from these photos

03-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That is a gorgeous location Dave. Such clear crisp colors. Beautifully captured. As to the CPL, quit eating french fries while playing with it. Not sure I can see the grease spots you are talking about though.
03-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love that 1st shot bud, and I can see what you mean about the circular lines. I would just wipe it down like you do a lens. I have gotten smudge marks on my "circular polarizer lens" for Jer, but never seen the effect you got there. Crop it down, love the reflection.
03-27-2013, 03:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are eye-opening (I just got up) landscapes, bud. I can smell the clean air. I've seen that effect in dark blue skies on some of my photos - don't know why, maybe because I don't know what a CPL is.
Jer
Thanks Jer I know you know now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dynamo Quote
Hi Dave, you’ve found spring there; we are yet to find it here in the Netherlands
by the way...Nice clicks
Thanks Dynamo - I had to drive 4 hours from where I live to find it. Rumor has it , it is coming here

QuoteOriginally posted by Diego Quote
Hi Dave,
I am just speechless!
Thanks for sharing such great shots with us!!!!!!!
Thanks Diego - glad I could share my part of the world with ya,

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Love this location Dave and spring is the best time. Everything looks so fresh. Well done. JIMBO
Thanks Jim yes all 4 seasons offer unique opportunities , still think fall is my favorite but the vote is close.
03-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Acheron Quote
Wow, very nice shots. I like saturated colors that are not overprocessed and are well balanced. As someone said, I can also smell clean cold air from these photos
Thanks Acheron - indeed the air is crisp and clean it's a great smell.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That is a gorgeous location Dave. Such clear crisp colors. Beautifully captured. As to the CPL, quit eating french fries while playing with it. Not sure I can see the grease spots you are talking about though.
haha good idea Susan ! Thanks for the kind words, The issue is in the sky - most noticible in the first and last about the center top of the frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Love that 1st shot bud, and I can see what you mean about the circular lines. I would just wipe it down like you do a lens. I have gotten smudge marks on my "circular polarizer lens" for Jer, but never seen the effect you got there. Crop it down, love the reflection.
Thanks Bob not sure it was the CPL but it's what I am blaming because we all know the operator is flawless
03-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Banff is about 4 hours from where I live
It's only an hour or so from me, but it don't look like that, so I guess it's not the same Banff.

Great shots, clear and sharp.
03-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Superb scenery Again !!! TFS

cheers
03-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
It's only an hour or so from me, but it don't look like that, so I guess it's not the same Banff.
Great shots, clear and sharp.
Thanks - I want to be in whatever it is you're driving then

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Superb scenery Again !!! TFS
cheers
Thanks Ivan always appreciate you stopping by to comment.