Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Flying for Cheese - Grey Jays in Motion
Lens: Tamron 90 2.8 macro, Pentax 1.7 x converter Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario,Canada Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: tessfully, 03-26-2013, 06:58 AM

Norman already posted many photos of his Grey Jays in flight. I just finished processing mine. I failed to nail the motion, but the photos are still fun to view.

I made a lengthy post on my blog regarding technique and execution, and I also added many more pics, if interested the link is:

Home of My Own

If my technique is messed up or if anyone has tips I would appreciate the advice.

Thank you for having a look

Last edited by tessfully; 03-26-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added one more
Views: 1,123
03-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Den
Veteran Member

Also very nice just like Norm's were. A+
Enjoyed the blog and additional shots, TFS.
03-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for having a look Den!
03-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is great, Tess
I have about 6 very healthy Cardinals here, but I never have shot birds before.
The Cardinals look slower than your Jays but they fly away from the feeder if I go out.
I have lenses ( M only) up to 200mm and a k-01. Where do I start?

By the way the squirrels are vandalizing the feeder and chasing the birds away and eating my expensive seed.

03-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

These are great Tess. You really got some wonderful action shots. Am going to have a look at your link now.
03-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Both you and Norm have done very well. Did not realize it was for the price of cheese - will have to try that in the spring here.
03-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice Tess! On a side note, I have never seen so many different tags on one bird...

03-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
A wonderful series.
03-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

piece of cheese, now that is a cheap date. These are great Tess, better than Norms, but don't tell him that.
03-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
That is great, Tess
I have about 6 very healthy Cardinals here, but I never have shot birds before.
The Cardinals look slower than your Jays but they fly away from the feeder if I go out.
I have lenses ( M only) up to 200mm and a k-01. Where do I start?

By the way the squirrels are vandalizing the feeder and chasing the birds away and eating my expensive seed.
Hi wombat! Thanks for having a look and for the nice comments. Cardinals here have proved impossible as well... still hoping one will hang around long enough for me to lift the camera to my eye. Squirrels are pains. We have a squirrel proof feeder, but he comes and eats off the porch, sits right beside the birds.

We are just looking at 200mm M lens on ebay, thinking that is a really nice focal length for birds. We also have a K-01 and I have not tried to take BIF with it. That would be interesting as you could track the birds much easier with both eyes open. Also, I talked about technique on my blog (link above) if you are interested in what I did. I only took what I read here and elsewhere and applied the principles. Hoping to improve my skills. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
These are great Tess. You really got some wonderful action shots. Am going to have a look at your link now.
Thank you Susan! I have a huge respect for your BIF shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Both you and Norm have done very well. Did not realize it was for the price of cheese - will have to try that in the spring here.
Thanks Dave. We squished the cheese into the needles of the tree so they had to sit for a moment to free it... they are very tame wild birds living in a somewhat tame part of a wild landscape. I feel like I am cheating on a test.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Very nice Tess! On a side note, I have never seen so many different tags on one bird...
Thanks Joe. There is a complex long term Grey Jay study going on here... since the 70s. I recently bought the book with the statistical findings to date. Each band represents an identifier of the bird... sex, age, location, name. The study has shown that our shorter winters have reduced the population of grey jays. Along with logging, the impacts have actually made grey jay populations extant in certain areas where they used to thrive.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
A wonderful series.
Thank you Ted!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
piece of cheese, now that is a cheap date. These are great Tess, better than Norms, but don't tell him that.
If only all the birds out there could be bought in this way!! Thanks Bob
03-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are terrific, Tess - I can successfully photograph a bird only when he/she is comatose.

Jer
03-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for having a look Jer
03-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great captures
03-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great idea! I need to try something like that (although around here the bird population is not too exciting...). I really like #4 a lot - it's a wall hanger! I like the way the perfectly exposed tree and bird contrast with the almost pure white background. A very cool effect. On #3 though on my monitor there is a pronounced halo around the tree in the foreground. Did you do something different on that one?