Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stearn's Wharf
Lens: Pentax 17-70 mm f/4 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Santa Barbara 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 03-28-2013, 11:28 PM

A shot from the end of Stearn's Wharf in Santa Barbara's harbor, taken last weekend. The city of Santa Barbara and the Santa Ynez Mountains are in the background. The mountains reach about 6000 feet at the highest point, only a few miles from the ocean. Snow will fall at the highest elevations every few years.

Attached Images

Views: 948
03-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very colourful for a daytime shot. Shame about the haze on the mountains, but that is a fact of life near populated areas these days.
03-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the haze on the mountains.
03-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jerry, Great picture which, brought back a number of memories. The restaurant out at the end of Stern's Wharf (on the right side of the image) was where I took my (now) wife on our first blind date back in 1973. I am 6' 3", and she is 5' 1", so she decided to wear some really high heels. I could not park out on the Wharf, so we walked out - which was a mistake as she promptly got her heel stuck in the wharf. Then I found out I was allergic to the perfume she was wearing......

03-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

ahh water and mountains two of my favorites thanks for posting Jerry.
03-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What a lovely old pier that is. And the setting can't be beat.
03-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Very colourful for a daytime shot. Shame about the haze on the mountains, but that is a fact of life near populated areas these days.
Trev, I don't think the haze is related to the population, as Santa Barbara has really no heavy industry, is not a big town (about 100,000), and is not located in any kind of basin that restricts airflow. In cases like this it's probably ocean related - warm day (80F/27C) and cold water (60F/15C).

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I like the haze on the mountains.
Me too Although a clearer day would have been even more awesome!

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Jerry, Great picture which, brought back a number of memories. The restaurant out at the end of Stern's Wharf (on the right side of the image) was where I took my (now) wife on our first blind date back in 1973. I am 6' 3", and she is 5' 1", so she decided to wear some really high heels. I could not park out on the Wharf, so we walked out - which was a mistake as she promptly got her heel stuck in the wharf. Then I found out I was allergic to the perfume she was wearing......
I was living there in 1973. Maybe I was even there on the pier that day! That restaurant is now called Moby Dick, and I've never tried it. We always go to the Harbor Restaurant, which os the one a little further down the pier.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
ahh water and mountains two of my favorites thanks for posting Jerry.
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
What a lovely old pier that is. And the setting can't be beat.
Thanks Dave!

« Grassland | Tin »