09-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Ed in GA

well, try again

09-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use brackets for img tags, like so: [IMG] and [/IMG]

That's really not bad for a first- but I'd use a faster aperture to get the background out of the DoF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Use brackets for img tags, like so: [IMG] and [/IMG]

That's really not bad for a first- but I'd use a faster aperture to get the background out of the DoF.
and, your thoughts on this one?

09-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Eddy, I agree with MO. Also, I don't think the flower shot is a Macro - it's a close-up.

What size is that spider? Is that a crop or out of the cam - great composition.
09-22-2006, 05:43 AM   #6
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Eddy, I agree with MO. Also, I don't think the flower shot is a Macro - it's a close-up.

What size is that spider? Is that a crop or out of the cam - great composition.
Good morning,

Both were done with the K100D and Promaster 70-300 Zoom/Macro Lense with a focal length of 180(270) in the Macro setting.

The spider was huge.

The spider shot is not cropped and is straight out of the camera as is the flower shot.

I've only had the camera for less than two weeks and it has been over 25 years since I have done any photography at all.

It can only get better..

Ed
09-22-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the composition of the spiter photo, as well as the colors. The DoF is still out of place though, IMO, but good shooting!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #8
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I really like the composition of the spiter photo, as well as the colors. The DoF is still out of place though, IMO, but good shooting!
The aperature on the spider shot was 4.5. The lens maximum at 70mm is 4.0. About all of the DOF I could get on that one.

However, on the flower, the aperature was 6.7 so I could have improved it just a bit.

Thanks for the comments and critique.

As I said, It can only get better.

09-22-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
This raises an interesting question for newbies like me. Is the only thing that makes a macro a macro the setting on the lens, or is there more to it than that?
09-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
This raises an interesting question for newbies like me. Is the only thing that makes a macro a macro the setting on the lens, or is there more to it than that?
That's a really good question. I also wondered about that.

Here is a link to an explanation.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/Macro_01.htm
09-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That seems to be a very good article - thanks for the link. The first paragraph was enough to explain the difference.

Unfortunately "macro" is a misused term but, nowadays it is being accepted (I'm old school). My problem and beef is that I have to keep asking the lens2subject distance and the actual size of the subject.

Please don't let this take away from the merit on your spider shot - many of us dream of a shot like that. And, if this is the beginning, your future is quite bright.