Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A picture ... and a story ...
Camera: K5 
Posted By: volley, 03-30-2013, 05:30 AM

My apologies upfront for probably way to much text, but like many Germans I am interested in history, specifically in our local history here. And we seem to have quite a bit of history. Our little village (less than 2500 people) was first mentioned in a document nearly 1200 years ago and our local church was built around a time when a guy called Christoph Columbus set sail to cross the Atlantic

I took these pictures yesterday during a long walk through a local forest area (obviously not the kind of weather to drive my roadster).

The forests and rolling hills you can see in the background of the first shot "once upon a time" were the preferred hunting area of the King of Hannover and later the German Emporer.

In order to make "hunting" easier for the old guys they kept a high population of mainly deer and wild boar which they were feeding for most of the year. Basically it was less hunting but more "aiming and shooting" at not really wild animals.
Of course the way too large number of animals resulted in substantial damages and losses for the local farmers as much of the harvest was destroyed every year. Well, nearly 200 years ago some brave farmers took the King to court and a brave judge ruled that the King had to compensate the farmers for the damages caused by the deer and boars. I guess that's a fine example of a truly independent judge!

In order to get rid of the issue the King of Hannover decided to build a wall around the whole forest area. More than 16 km long, 2 meters high and 60 cm wide. This wall still exists (you see it in the background of the first shot) and today it is keept as a kind of "historic land mark".

Again sorry for the long text.

Have a pleasant easter time!

Views: 982
03-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Simplistic yet intriguing and striking. Well done.
03-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Simplistic yet intriguing and striking. Well done.
Thanks you for your comment, much appreciated!
More and more I tend to agree with Andreas Feininger's recommendation to use a tripod - allways.
It greatly helps with composition - but it became quite heavy during a 3 hour walk
03-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Norbert, these are truly remarkable winter photos - I love the minimalist look and the compositions are terrific. I very much enjoyed the narrative about your history. And just think . . . . . . . when spring weather arrives, you'll have a great place to cruise that new car .

Jer

03-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice shots and I loved the history lesson - thanks for sharing.
03-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Den
Veteran Member

Cool images and interesting narrative. TFS
03-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a stark and unforgiving landscape Norbert, wonderful compositions and narrative.

03-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots, good story too Norbert! I like this kind of landscape history (has to do with my work, of course).....
These plains with trees are brook valleys, I guess? I think I recognize Black Alder trees....
03-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Beautiful scenery. I really love the first one and thanks for the bit of history - that is always interesting.
03-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Norbert, these are truly remarkable winter photos - I love the minimalist look and the compositions are terrific. I very much enjoyed the narrative about your history. And just think . . . . . . . when spring weather arrives, you'll have a great place to cruise that new car .

Jer
Thank you Jer, glad you liked the shots and the story. Take care my friend!

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Very nice shots and I loved the history lesson - thanks for sharing.
Appreciate your comment Dave!

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Cool images and interesting narrative. TFS
Many Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
a stark and unforgiving landscape Norbert, wonderful compositions and narrative.
Thanks for taking the time to comment Bob! It is a sometimes rough area, but I find it a great place to live.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Great shots, good story too Norbert! I like this kind of landscape history (has to do with my work, of course).....
These plains with trees are brook valleys, I guess? I think I recognize Black Alder trees....
Good to hear from you again Rense! And you are right about the brook valleys. The landscape and the rolling hills are a result of the last Ice age, I believe.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Beautiful scenery. I really love the first one and thanks for the bit of history - that is always interesting.
Many thanks for your comment Susan.
03-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Good to hear from you again Rense! And you are right about the brook valleys. The landscape and the rolling hills are a result of the last Ice age, I believe.
So you're in the northern part of Germany, I guess? Got such hills here too, living in the Arnheim-Nijmegen-area....
03-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
So you're in the northern part of Germany, I guess? Got such hills here too, living in the Arnheim-Nijmegen-area....
Yes, I am living just south of Hannover. Take care.