Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

My first wedding, comments are welcome!
Posted By: Pepe Guitarra, 04-02-2013, 10:19 PM

Last Good Friday, I shot my first wedding. Unfortunately, I shot most of the photos using non-Pentax gear. However, my assistant and long time Lumix LX5 point and shoot user helped me. I gave her for the first time my K5 with the FA50mmf1.4 (sorry for the error on the labeling, I called it f2.8, it should be f1.4) lens set in AV mode, at f/5.6 and 400 ISO (I think). My instructions were, please shoot close ups with this camera whenever you can. I taught her how to press the shutter half-way, then shoot. Apparently she focussed, moved a bit and shot. SO, most of the photos were out of focus. However, some are OK. These photos were shot by her, using a DSLR K5 for the first time.

I think she did a great job (even when shooting people while they were looking at my camera, not hers). In one of the photos, she focussed on me (the photographer). For comparison purposes only, I included two photos taken with Sigma and Canon gear. If posting the last two photos is not allowed, please let me know and I will delete them. I appreciate any constructive comment. THanks, Pepe.

PentaxFA50mmf2.8-Wed5-1 by
Palenquero, on Flickr

=======================================================

The following photos were added after the first post:

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 04-03-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Views: 3,084
04-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do like these shots, not bad for a first-time shooter, some nice candid shots, glad you clarified that you were the Canon shooter, at first though it was "Uncle Bob" at the wedding (although the diffuser on the flash and it's position told me it's someone who had some idea of what they were doing! )

In my amateur opinion, exposure and composition was good, would consider you at my wedding if you were closer!

B

04-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good advise, thanks.
04-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I was going to suggest that as well Shraubstock. There are a lot of image there a bit of PP could turn into awesome images, because of the location. That wave is certainly a point of interest. I might crop a bit tighter and remove some water... lots to work with there. It looks like a real blue light day, I'm guessing warming the images up a little and a slight increase in contrast saturation would do wonders. You've really made the most of the location and the informal nature of the wedding.
04-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you could've come in a little tighter on some of the shots. Just me, but it's about the people and not so much about the background.

04-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
I think you could've come in a little tighter on some of the shots. Just me, but it's about the people and not so much about the background.
Or both!
Thanks for the comments. As I start doing the PP, I will take your comments in mind. There were only 780 shots, and I am down to 360 now. In a day or two, I will start the PP.
Please keep the comments coming.
As an additional information: My assistant is my wife, who is a gardener with experience in taking shots to flowers and gardens.
I am not (at least yet) a professinal photographer. I was actually going to be the officiant at the wedding (yes I am an ordained minister), but the couple saw couple of my photo albums and asked me to be the photographer instead. Then, they had to ask their local pastor to officiate.

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 04-04-2013 at 08:22 AM.
04-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
but it's about the people and not so much about the background.
When the setting is Crystal Cove, it's a little bit about the background.