Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first wedding, comments are welcome!
Lens: Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Cristal Cove, California ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Pepe Guitarra, 04-02-2013, 10:19 PM

Last Good Friday, I shot my first wedding. Unfortunately, I shot most of the photos using non-Pentax gear. However, my assistant and long time Lumix LX5 point and shoot user helped me. I gave her for the first time my K5 with the FA50mmf1.4 (sorry for the error on the labeling, I called it f2.8, it should be f1.4) lens set in AV mode, at f/5.6 and 400 ISO (I think). My instructions were, please shoot close ups with this camera whenever you can. I taught her how to press the shutter half-way, then shoot. Apparently she focussed, moved a bit and shot. SO, most of the photos were out of focus. However, some are OK. These photos were shot by her, using a DSLR K5 for the first time.

I think she did a great job (even when shooting people while they were looking at my camera, not hers). In one of the photos, she focussed on me (the photographer). For comparison purposes only, I included two photos taken with Sigma and Canon gear. If posting the last two photos is not allowed, please let me know and I will delete them. I appreciate any constructive comment. THanks, Pepe.

PentaxFA50mmf2.8-Wed5-1 by
Palenquero, on Flickr

=======================================================

The following photos were added after the first post:

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 04-03-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Views: 3,085
04-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll say you both did pretty well. You're allowed to post shots from other cameras. The only restriction is you can't enter the contests with non-Pentax cameras. So post more of your shots.
04-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I'll say you both did pretty well. You're allowed to post shots from other cameras. The only restriction is you can't enter the contests with non-Pentax cameras. So post more of your shots.
Thanks, I know you also shoot Canon, so I will post some taken with the 17-40/4 that I finally got, it is a real gem.
04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Thanks, I know you also shoot Canon, so I will post some taken with the 17-40/4 that I finally got, it is a real gem.
Only lenses now(Canon FD on NEX and Q), but I'm glad to see your 7D is earning its keep. Were these taken on the base?

04-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Only lenses now(Canon FD on NEX and Q), but I'm glad to see your 7D is earning its keep. Were these taken on the base?
Crystal Cove in Laguna/Newport Beach
04-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not qualified to comment, but why ISO 200 (as Flickr shows) on the K-5? There appears to be quite a lot of light and using larger apertures you seemed to get exposure times in the league of 1/6400 or 1/8000 s.

Last edited by Raffwal; 04-03-2013 at 12:29 AM.
04-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Regarding FA50mmf2.8

It seems that camera focuses precisely on shots PentaxFA50mmf2.8-Wed9*-1 and PentaxFA50mmf2.8-Wed10*-1 only

04-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think these are keepers. My only critique is the first one a little centered for my taste but still a nice shot.
04-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I keep coming across these same images and links to them elsewhere on the forum, so I did post a comment on one of them.
04-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I really like the one with the bride rubbing her eye and the 2nd to last tight couple shot.
I've second shot quite a few weddings and I tend to take the longer lens eg 70-200 zoom or 85/100 prime.
Reason is its easier to catch people unawares and also less likely to get in the 1st shooters shot as it seems like happened here a few times also looks quite bright as the people tend to be squinting abit.
04-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
I really like the one with the bride rubbing her eye and the 2nd to last tight couple shot.
I've second shot quite a few weddings and I tend to take the longer lens eg 70-200 zoom or 85/100 prime.
Reason is its easier to catch people unawares and also less likely to get in the 1st shooters shot as it seems like happened here a few times also looks quite bright as the people tend to be squinting abit.
It was shot from 10 to 11 am, it was cloudy, the sun came out for few seconds and back in. Regarding ISO, shooter kept f5.6 in AV mode at ISO 200, and did not change throughout. Pastor has a natural tendency to squint, and models have very small eyes, hard to get a good shot of the eyes. That was their own comment.
04-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #12

Definitely not bad at all for a first time K5 user. Glad to see that FA 50 getting some good use! Great location for the wedding and lucky groom.
04-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

i think you'll might have to increase the assistant's pay now
04-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Last Good Friday, I shot my first wedding. Unfortunately, I shot most of the photos using non-Pentax gear. However, my assistant and long time Lumix LX5 point and shoot user helped me. I gave her for the first time my K5 with the FA50mmf1.4 (sorry for the error on the labeling, I called it f2.8, it should be f1.4) lens set in AV mode, at f/5.6 and 400 ISO (I think). My instructions were, please shoot close ups with this camera whenever you can. I taught her how to press the shutter half-way, then shoot. Apparently she focussed, moved a bit and shot. SO, most of the photos were out of focus. However, some are OK. These photos were shot by her, using a DSLR K5 for the first time.

I think she did a great job (even when shooting people while they were looking at my camera, not hers). In one of the photos, she focussed on me (the photographer). For comparison purposes only, I included two photos taken with Sigma and Canon gear. If posting the last two photos is not allowed, please let me know and I will delete them. I appreciate any constructive comment. THanks, Pepe.

PentaxFA50mmf2.8-Wed5-1 by
Palenquero, on Flickr

=======================================================

The following photos were added after the first post:

My K-5 is set-up to focus with the "AF" button which is easier for me.
04-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

She has a bit of talent I would say. It is never easy to shoot with a strange camera but her framing (and I do not know how much PP was done as far as cropping is concerned) is certainly nothing to complain about. But the poses by the newly weds are good also.

Now comes the part where you can add a little bit of quality to some, if not all shots to make them even better. Looking at the pics on my screen some seem to be a wee bit under exposed. Should not have been the case because the light seemed bright enough. It was one of those days where it is very bright in spite of the seemingly dullness. This comes about because at the beach there is a lot of salt laden moisture in the air which reflects the sunlight from behind clouds.
That's when people squint.

I have taken just one picture to indicate what can be done to remedy this situation. This is of course the way I see it and as always you may think differently but since you ask for an opinion I thought I might show you an alternative just for your consideration.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2014 at 03:29 AM.