Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
In Defense of the SCN Modes
Posted By: Mike Cash, 03-04-2008, 05:14 AM

On a recent photo outing, and the very first on which I managed to con my 12 year daughter into coming along, I mounted a $70 Cosina 19-35 autofocus zoom to my K100D, turned the mode dial to AUTOPICT and handed it to her with no more instruction than how to manipulate the zoom ring.

Most of her photos were just point-click-point-click-point-click with no thought to composition or much of anything else. But I was pleased to be able to take one of them, GIMP it up, and hand it to her as what strikes me as a pretty laudable photo. I did have to crop it to fix the composition, but I figure any positively encouraging results she sees out of her clickety-clickety-clicking may serve to make it easier to get her to tag along again in the future.

The subject is her mother holding a Konica C35 E&L (C35V outside Japan) zone focus compact 35mm.

Stuff like this is why I always say that the presence of the oft-maligned SCN modes on the K100D makes it truly a "family" camera. With just a twist of a dial we can make it into a very user-friendly glorified P&S.
Views: 2,068
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What you say is true Mike. The auto mode does work well if you hand the camera off to someone who is used to a point and shoot. But I still have to remind my wife that nothing will appear in the LCD until she takes a picture. You actually need to look through the viewfinder to frame the picture! After I remind her of that, and what the zoom ring does, she does fine.

And I like the picture, it's fun to take pictures of other people taking pictures.
03-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shot . I still have mine DS as a backup and P&S camera as needed . Too many times some friends of friends - claimed to be phototogs - tried to use K10D THREE feet in front of them no matter how much time I spent before hand explaining to them .
03-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
On a recent photo outing, and the very first on which I managed to con my 12 year daughter into coming along, I mounted a $70 Cosina 19-35 autofocus zoom to my K100D, turned the mode dial to AUTOPICT and handed it to her with no more instruction than how to manipulate the zoom ring.

Most of her photos were just point-click-point-click-point-click with no thought to composition or much of anything else. But I was pleased to be able to take one of them, GIMP it up, and hand it to her as what strikes me as a pretty laudable photo. I did have to crop it to fix the composition, but I figure any positively encouraging results she sees out of her clickety-clickety-clicking may serve to make it easier to get her to tag along again in the future.

The subject is her mother holding a Konica C35 E&L (C35V outside Japan) zone focus compact 35mm.

Stuff like this is why I always say that the presence of the oft-maligned SCN modes on the K100D makes it truly a "family" camera. With just a twist of a dial we can make it into a very user-friendly glorified P&S.
This is a great shot. I been thinking about borrowing my K10 to my sister for a trip, and then setting it up in green mode.

03-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I got my daughter to shoot with me when she was around that age. I let her play with my Spotmatic (film/developing was a lot cheaper 26/27 years ago) and then got her a K1000 when she wanted to go farther on her own, which also involved building a darkroom with me (she developed my film). She got into it to the point where she got undergrad and master's degrees in Fine Arts (photo major). Later, amongst other things, she managed one of the better known photography galleries in NYC. After a brief lapse into the corporate world and three children, she is slowly getting back to it and shooting with me (sometimes) again.
Point is, if you you don't pressure someone to do something, you never know where it will go.