Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mt. Fuji
Lens: 18-135 WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Shizuoka, Japan ISO: 100 
Posted By: Omalika, 04-03-2013, 04:52 AM

Hello,

just got my K-30 yesterday (my first Pentax, and I somehow have bought four lenses already??) and decided to take it out today for some sunset pictures.
I camped out on the mountain opposite Mt. Fuji for about an hour watching the sun go down (and freezing my butt off).

Please let me know how these look! I touched them a little bit in Lightroom - mostly the usual, brightness/contrast, but also a tiny bit of sharpening (is this allowed or considered taboo?).

I'll probably be posting a lot of this mountain, as it's always different and always beautiful (when you can actually see it, that is).

Larger versions
Views: 780
04-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots ,particularly the last one. As for post processing taboo there are no taboos. You did not mention if you shot raw or jpg , if raw you have to at least convert to jpg which alone does some processing deping on the software / algorithm used. My theory on PP is to tweak the shot with whatever tool you use until YOU are happy with it. You will always find 10 people that like whatever you did and 10 people that have an issue with something so might as well please yourself.
04-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
PP is to tweak the shot with whatever tool you use until YOU are happy with it. You will always find 10 people that like whatever you did and 10 people that have an issue with something so might as well please yourself.
Thanks for the info, Dave. I was shooing RAW and realized that PP does some minor tweaks automatically, so I see what you are saying.

I grew up in Taiwan, and these is a saying from that country that goes, "Don't paint feet on your snake." It pretty much means that you should know when enough is enough, and where adding more would damage what is already a finished and good product.
I find myself wanting to push an image further and further (unnecessarily so) until I have painted feet on my snake! So I always feel kind of weird using PP, asking myself, "Have I gone too far?"
04-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
See just to prove a point, I'm the opposite to daacon, I really prefer the first image, with extra light on the mountain and clouds about.

It is a truly magical subject to photograph, you ought to try and get back again if you can, as it will be a totally different scene before you.

04-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Kerrow,

I like the first photograph more as well. The third one has great colors and a dramatic clash between the golds and the blacks, which I love,
but the first one is great just because of the way the light not only streams down on the city but also, as you mentioned, the play of the light against the clouds passing over the mountain.

I've been here for almost two years and I take about a picture of Mt. Fuji every 4-10 days.... so I have quite a collection of this mountain. It never gets boring!! And we're also approaching the classic 1/3 top covered in snow,
but my favorite is when the snow is completely gone (maybe for 3 months during summer/early autumn) and the rising sun hits the lava rock just right - it looks like a mountain on fire.
On mornings like that, I can see where Hokusai drew inspiration for Gaifu Kaisei - Red Fuji.
04-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the first one also. What a lovely subject you have to work with. Can't wait to see more from you. I love that you suddenly discovered you had purchased four lenses already. LBA strikes suddenly and without any warning. Welcome to the forums.
04-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I like the first photo. If there is some way you can bring out the light rays striking the valley (on the left side of the photo), it would further enhance the image.

04-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
I like the first photo. If there is some way you can bring out the light rays striking the valley (on the left side of the photo), it would further enhance the image.
Nice photos. I like the last one. If you were to cut away the top section(along the long white cloud just above the mountain) It makes an awesome panoramic picture, completely
changes the perspective. Scroll the photo up to the top of the screen to the long white cloud to see. least ways, thats what I like.
04-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! These are very lovely and interesting...a completely different view of Fuji-sama than the usual "postcard" image. I will be looking forward to the "mountain on fire" images!